Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any Experiences Self Launching The Waroo ?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any Experiences Self Launching The Waroo ?

Postby Mattdog » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:59 am

ANyone who can easily fold the wingtip and weight with sand on the 9m Waroo please let me know. Oh and does the bridle get caught up creating extra risk?

If you can't do this on the Waroo, I wont be buying it

Thanks

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Re: Any Experiences Self Launching The Waroo ?

Postby EvanOR » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:26 am

Mattdog wrote:ANyone who can easily fold the wingtip and weight with sand on the 9m Waroo please let me know. Oh and does the bridle get caught up creating extra risk?

If you can't do this on the Waroo, I wont be buying it

Thanks
Don't know about the Waroo, but it does work with the Ocean Rodeo One, but not folding the tip. You just sand the kite as usual but with the kite laying flat. Put the sand just below the last strut, and don't use more than you need. The sand will slide down and off the back of the kite when it goes up. The kite will actually rise up and sit on the wingtip with the sand on it, in the usual edge of the window launch position. Then, just give a sharp tug to the upper rear line and the sand will dump off. It actually works better than a C-kite, as you have much more time. It kind of goes in two stages, not all at once like with a C kite. No issues with bridle tangling - just make sure your lines come off the kite cleanly. I would assume this will work with other flat kites, but can't confirm.

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 am

I assume the OR One has the embedded scuff gaurds that are designed to slough off the flying lines so they don't they caught on the kite.

If you haven't seen this feature on the OR's it is really cool and it is wonderfully useful when you are laucnhing your kite!

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:53 pm

i use the same method EvanOR describes, but on a Sonic. works fine. same method works on a c kite. i'm not sure why everyone feels need to fold the tip; filling inside tip with sand works on all kites i've used. (maybe its a wear/tear thing, but does it really matter where the sand flies off the kite as it lifts...hasn't to me)

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:53 pm

The first time I folded the wing tip on the waroo the bridle got caught and the self launch didn't work. I didnt pay any attention to how the bridle was laid out that first time. Since then I tried to carefully lay out the bridle and put a bit of sand on it so it doesn't flap and the self launch has worked fine. I folded the LE where it bends anyway..so more of a triangle rather than the whole wingtip like I would with a c-kite

So it works ok..just a little extra attention required when setting up the kite and bridle

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:33 am

The production Waroos have bridle slides, so the bridle doesn't tangle so easily, but you still need to pay attention to it...

the easiest way to self launch is just to attach you chicken loop to something or weight it down, then go turn the kite over into the launch position. It sits there with very little power, then grab the chicken loop, hook in, pull the bar and off you go. we did this in the snow all the time a few weeks back... Just dug my board into the snow and attched the c-loop to a binding...

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:50 am

there's absolutely no need to sand the wing tip, just load it up with sand.

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 pm

I've had success folding the wingtip and piling sand on it...just watch the layout of the bridles, but it isn't a big deal. Also used the method Alex talked about, and that works too...

southbound
Rare Poster

Postby southbound » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:39 pm

sq225917 wrote:there's absolutely no need to sand the wing tip, just load it up with sand.
You have probabaly already described the "load it up with sand" method on some other thread. Please point us to that thread, or explain in detail here.
-thanks

Return to “Reviews”