Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

spraying flo pink or orange?

Postby Noabacca » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:00 pm

Does anybody know what brands of spray paint hold up
the best if used on a kiteboard/bottom

I'm entertaining the idea of spraying flo pink or orange on the bottom
of my old SX, which is B+W, just to help spot it when I lose my board in surf.

Anybody have any brands or formula recommendations for this application?

Acrylic?
Enamel?

nBp

Stone
Medium Poster

Postby Stone » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:32 pm

Get any floro paint that isn't "glossy." Then get a good clearcoat to go over the top, and do a thin layer maybe 3-4 times, that'll keep it on. Any scratches on the bottom might make the paint chip and peel around them though.

Jason

Baboon

Postby Baboon » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:36 pm

my RRd humansize came with flourescent orange fins. I have been amazed at how far the board has gotten at times. Any other fins and the board would have been lost on at least 3 occasions. It really does work and the colour just stands out.

some of my newer boards seem to stay fin side down unfortunately.

I reckon just spray the fins with any cheap stuff (that won`t wash off in water of course :D ) and you can`t go wrong

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

paints

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:43 pm

the best way to paint neons colours is the first layer is to mix some white into it maybe 10-15% . The will hold the neon longer then 4-5 coats of straight neon after. The clear coat must have a UV blocker in it or the neons will flade with in a year if in the sun all the time.

I spray house of Kolors, I do jet skis, motorcycles, cars, and now going to start spraying some of the board that i am makeing.

Just my two cents
Tkettlepoint

easy way out is krylon spray can. Sticks like a MO FO and you can touch it up if you hit something.

GK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet

Re: spraying flo pink or orange?

Postby GK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:50 am

Noabacca wrote: I'm entertaining the idea of spraying flo pink or orange on the bottom
I say paint her orange :o

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:33 am

i have the same issue with my jaime pro 126 (05). bottom is mostly black with some white. TFC fins are just off white. if you lose your board in any type of swell / serious chop, especially with bright sun, it's very hard to pick out your board.

rather than paint the bottom, which you cant see if body dragging anyway because you are at basically the same level, i chose to paint the fins.

i bought some totally danny kwock 1980's neon pink paint, and painted all the fins. i bought the stuff in tokyo, so it's a japanese brand, but i 'm sure any krylon or duron neon paint will work.

i've ridden quite a few times since, not grinding across reefs or through sand, but it seems to be holding up. i can always recoat if needed.

it's a LOT easier to see now.

randal
Medium Poster

Postby randal » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:13 am

I has a SS Jarvis with the same issue, its a dark bluey purple. I'm digging the painted fins, and I was planning on getting some sort of fluoresnent tape for the top and doing some sort of stripy pattern or something, we'll see! I'm not sure why manufacturers don't put more thought into this sorta thing!

Ben Meyer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Axon Kiteboards

Postby Ben Meyer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:26 pm

ok

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 pm

You will get the most visibility out of painting the fins and the foot straps. They're the bits that stick up out of the water.

It sucks that most board designers are more interested in their own style or pandering to style concious boofheads than making a product that works best.

tstansbury
Medium Poster

Postby tstansbury » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:48 am

I hope some company people are listening. I just posted on best site to make some large chrome stickers to help spot boards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”