Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

my new favorite kite.

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
consumer
Very Frequent Poster

my new favorite kite.

Postby consumer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:27 am

man i flew a kite today that fucking blew me a away. Vegas 6, it depowered like a crossbow, but the nice person was a C-kite(felt like one too except or that wierd depowerability), then to top it off it turned FASSSTT like it pivots on itself and bar pressure is light. I am confident in saying it's probably the best kite for wave kiting because of its INCREDIBLE depower, turning speed(seriously holy shit), and it's turning radius.
the thing had crazy hang and jump like a bow too, which also wierded me out. Bow aspects from a c-kite, i was like what the f***?

best kite i've flown so far.

p.s. i am basically comparing this to the cab xbow as i've flown that quite a bit. I have not flown the ss td but believe it to be very similar minus some bar pressure.

I have also not flown the "2nd" generation bow kites, which I simply categorize arbitrarily as the bow kites without pulleys i.e. waroo, rapture 2, sonic, etc whatever else doesnt have pulleys that is the shit right now. I honestly expect these kites to be more similar to the xbow than to a traditional c. Whereas i believe the vegas6 to be a true hybrid of C and Bow(It really is the best of both worlds with none of the bad).

I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH NORTH. I RIDE 06 Rhinos BY CHOICE and NO OTHER REASON. I PAY FOR MY KITES, hence the name.

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:57 am

Totally wrong...are you a north dealer ?

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby swell » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:30 pm

2 funalex

nice review. Lots of information.
i bet your board has a concave for you could hold ground :D :D :D
welcome to reality, bowdreamers! :idea:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:11 pm

i'm prepared to beleive all of that.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm

funalex wrote:Totally wrong...are you a north dealer ?
no dude, i mentioned already i have no affiliation with the industry or with any company. I fly kites i like.

I'm 20 y/o and i study biophyschem at UC Berkeley.

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:26 pm

Consumer

What size? what's the wind range? factory bar? 4 or 5lines?

Glad that you like it but you haven't stated any real info or comparisons to other c or bow kites,

eg. xbow depower is really on/off imho, vegas depower is? (Smooth/linear/on/off what?)

Smokey

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:44 pm

smokey wrote:Consumer

What size? what's the wind range? factory bar? 4 or 5lines?

Glad that you like it but you haven't stated any real info or comparisons to other c or bow kites,

eg. xbow depower is really on/off imho, vegas depower is? (Smooth/linear/on/off what?)

Smokey
very good questions, i did not want to talk about because i originally did not consider it a review.
165 lb rider and Jaime L board(128x40)- Stock 06 North 5th element bar(5 lines)
anyway it was a 12.0m , i do not have the best idea about the low end, really, i know its greater than my 12.0 Rhino, but the best estimate i can give is that i could probably ride it in very comfortably in about 12knots , this is conservative and really based on my rhino6 estimate.

upper end? I did not reach it that day and it was blowing approx 20knot, the sensor was reading high teens/low twenties but this sensor is notorious for reading low, gusts into the mid twenties(note that this does not effect the readng on the lower end, i based that upon my rhino6 comparison of it, at different spots).

It depowered COMPLETELY which is why i'm sure it doesnt have a roof that i've hit yet. Just to note: my Rhino 6 which has great range as well, really has no comparison when it comes to upper end. I was OVERpowered on my r6 12.0, but could handle LOADS more wind on the vegas, it depowers amazingly, like a bow.

Now when i say it depowers like a bow i mean that it depowers like a bow in magnitude, i.e. it reaches a very similar minimum power. However, it does not get you there like a bow does. Every inch on the sheeting strap depowers a linear amount, it feels like atleast. The bow tends to rapidly depower(exponentially almost), whereas the vegas is very , very smooth. A medium canbe found easily this way. it's really amazing imo.

I have flown Naish, slingshot, cabrinha, best, caution, ocean rodeo, ___2005__ models, but NONE of the 06's yet. I found that those 05 models all depowered in a similar fashion(not very much in comparison with kites today). The only bows i've flown were mentioned previously.

I am still very interested in trying windwing and rrd kites, as i hear a lotthat their depowering capability is amazing as well.

solo flight
Frequent Poster

Postby solo flight » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:06 pm

And don't forget F-One,their experience on this type of kite is bigger than North's as they already had it last year with the M5.

Return to “Reviews”