Stage Two controlbar review on www.kiteboard.be

Forum for kitesurfers
enzo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby enzo » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:17 pm

lines are not included.
the bar however comes complete with 5 meter leader lines and complete safety release system.
Also if you buy it there and don't live in EC you are exempt from VAT tax.
My final bill (including shipping) was $195
enzo

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:07 pm

5 meter leader lines, huh? Maybe you can help me figure something out. I plan to get the S2 lock-in bar. I want to ride with 20 meter lines that I'll buy seperate. However, if the S2 comes with 5 meter leaders, maybe I should buy 15 meter lines instead? Sorry for the stupid question but thanks for your help!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:43 pm

sure.
if you want total 20 m, buy 15 m lines.
15m + 5m leader lines.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:27 pm

Freerider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Freerider » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:13 pm

Hey Guys i have been in talks with the guys at s2 and am hoping a solution to a few niggles can be solved. The Ribbed side does tend to wear. I ride really powered up and as such only pull the bar towards me when i am going for a big jump or want a bit more board speed when riding toe side. I also tend to adjust the manual sheet to help with where the bar postion ends up when fully powered. I will pitch any ideas you have with the guys at s2. Any comments or questions please let me know!!

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:38 am

I think that bar really is nice and functions well. SO far it is the best locking bar I have tried. Well better than wipikas or a a "sheet cleat" which are the only others I have used. But a couple of details could be changed, I have done most of these myslef and they seem to work:

1) put a fair lead on the free end of depower clamcleat so it easier to uncleat. I did this myself from a west-marine part and it was cheap and easy. They should supply it with this in place! Slingshot uses a in-line cleat but the set-up that s2 and wipika use is fine with a fairlead. without it it can be hard to uncleat. Also they should use different line for the depower line that goes through the cleat. I broke mine 2nd time out by breaking the sleeving, but not the core.

2) Sell bars without the snap shackle for a few less $s. If you want two different length bars you only need one snap shackle and this an expensive bit.

3) Sew the chicken loop set up in a different maaner. The way it is now they have sewed two pieces of line together. This is really strong when you pull along the lines (i.e in shear), but the way it sets up the two lines are pulling apart and it tensions the last thread of the stiching, which has started to break on mine.

4) Attach the back lines in manner so they can not rotate about the bar sometimes mine have become misalinged. They should always align to lockin (ie. parallel to the curve of the bar). Mine have come misalinged when I have tensioned the back lines hard with the bar pulled rotated towards me. I should imagine once they get a good "set" this won't happen..but a little design or better wrap knot could fix this issue.

5) I personally like shorter leaders so the leader/line knots can't get caught in line twiwst after spinning. I scrapped the there n' back leash system and long leaders for a sliding ring and stopper system on a front line with 1.2m back leaders and no front leaders. This allows a shorter leash (about 60cm) which is a "cleaner" set up. Also less leader to wrap up on your bar etc

6) One final thing would be to try some narrower blue knuckled strap ..maybe 3/4" or 1/2" instead of 1" to see if works well...might loosen up the steering a bit and still keep things spinning/unspinning nicely.Also it would be nice if they sold replacement blue straps for when the original wears out!

Well you wanted suggestions to pass ..maybe this is more than you wanted, but if you could passs this on to s2 for feedback on their product that would be great.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:17 am

Right on Freerider! Hey~ why are the leader lines five feet long anyway?! Seems excessive and surely adds weight and line drag. I don't understand...

rYaN
Medium Poster

Postby rYaN » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:02 am

Yea that is a very good idea ,St really should sell the replamcement blue strapes ,i travel alot and i would hate the hasel of a worn out strap in some far of country, so i would like to bring replacement one ,But NOt overly priced, come on we payed enough for the bar in the first place .

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:16 am

I forwarded this topic to S2.
We will see if they react.

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:40 pm

BTW- I was surprised to find the Slingshot bar's leaders to be 7 meters forcing me to shorten the 27 m lines to 20 (with their leash system). In light winds, I swear it's harder to go upwind. but with moderate wind I can't tell the difference. I like the feel of these bars so much I don't care. I wonder if these thicker leader lines are less likely to cause cuts if the get wraped around a limb.... Lane

Return to “Kitesurfing”