Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

new rule: if you are affiliated with a company let us know!

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:58 pm

jason_ssr wrote:....but I might really be a short brown girl from Brazil. ...
...well, just so I don't miss out on an opportunity. If you are a short brown girl from Brazil would you mind posting some pictures or PMing me? ;) Thanks!!!

I do agree with some of the recent posts. It will be frustrating for all to try to control this mess of people too much. The phrase, "its like herding cats," comes to mind!

I think the very obvious affiliations are already known or they are upfront about it. With all other reviews, hopefully we all can read them and balance things out in our own mind (anticipate some bias). FWIW...

and jim, if you regularly contribute to their college fund (re. your WWW link) YOU are are the one sponsering THEM, the girls don't sponsor you...

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby jrobson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:59 pm

sq225917 wrote:hands up who always pays fullprice.
I think there is a difference, there are discounts, and then there are "shop sponsored" discounts.

Everyone walking in to a shop will problably get a discount of 5 or 10%.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:06 pm

i don't mind the pimping, it is pretty obvious what is and what isn't in my opinion and a little reading, say looking at previous posts with the search function by member name, makes things pretty clear also,

come on, we are all subjected to pimping/advertisement all over the place, magazines, infomericals, i think we can figure it out

there are plenty of people rushing to my aid to quickly expose or try to expose pimping, thanks guys/gals for caring, but i can figure it out for myself

how many people rushed out and bought a kite because a poster they had never heard of with only one post wrote up how great the kite was? hands please?

how many said, hey, that guy has been quite honest in the past and seems to like what i like and he likes this 'thing' hmmm..... maybe i will try one.

and vested interest? i have a vested interest as soon as i buy the kite/board/etc. if for no other reason, i want to sell it.

no, pimping is not the problem--------

pretending to be someone else, is a problem - like Robby Naish (posting under an assumed name) asking why his Cabrinha kite keeps falling out of the sky - (of course a completely fictious example, never would happen)

personal attacks, stalking, posting huge messages with nothing in them, well,

those are problems

and those members should be removed, publicly chastised and forced to sit through reruns of i love lucy for three days

:bye:

David

skagroovy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby skagroovy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:06 pm

if everyone just boycots the stupid threads the "pimps" start they will stop posting such hype, but you all get sucked into them so easy and boom free advertising..... it would be nice to have this info on peoples profiles for the kite reviews.
late

larryxxx
Frequent Poster

Postby larryxxx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Simon, Anyone who orders your best kites online are always paying full price. And if they order any of the latest greatest they are paying to be on a list to hopefully get one. Is that what you mean by who pays full price, your customers. :o Sure the price maybe a good one but no discounts ,right? :lol:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:34 pm

purdyd wrote:i don't mind the pimping, it is pretty obvious what is and what isn't in my opinion and a little reading, say looking at previous posts with the search function by member name, makes things pretty clear also,

come on, we are all subjected to pimping/advertisement all over the place, magazines, infomericals, i think we can figure it out

there are plenty of people rushing to my aid to quickly expose or try to expose pimping, thanks guys/gals for caring, but i can figure it out for myself

how many people rushed out and bought a kite because a poster they had never heard of with only one post wrote up how great the kite was? hands please?

how many said, hey, that guy has been quite honest in the past and seems to like what i like and he likes this 'thing' hmmm..... maybe i will try one.

and vested interest? i have a vested interest as soon as i buy the kite/board/etc. if for no other reason, i want to sell it.

no, pimping is not the problem--------

pretending to be someone else, is a problem - like Robby Naish (posting under an assumed name) asking why his Cabrinha kite keeps falling out of the sky - (of course a completely fictious example, never would happen)

personal attacks, stalking, posting huge messages with nothing in them, well,

those are problems

and those members should be removed, publicly chastised and forced to sit through reruns of i love lucy for three days

:bye:

David
You are right off course most people might smell a pimp but not everybody spends ages on this forum to know who is who and those are probably the most needy to get good, unbiased advice.
Maybe we are actually all pimps on this forum trying to convince eachother that our product is the best and there is no joe public spending any time on this forum who needs protecting at all.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:36 pm

i think there's a difference between the actions toby calls pimping and others might call it.

if a user asks 'which 12m kite should i buy'
and the naishguy says buy naish, it's great
and the bestguy says: no, go for best its better

...that would be a case i wouldn't call pimping.

if brand-x guy makes himself three accounts and
starts a dialogue all by himself where he bashes other brands and/or hypes his own ... now that's pimping.

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:42 pm

toddjb123 wrote: and jim, if you regularly contribute to their college fund (re. your WWW link) YOU are are the one sponsering THEM, the girls don't sponsor you...
Todd, last time I was there for a team rider meeting they gave me a t-shirt. So, yes, I'm sponsored... :D College fund, those girls go to college...hmmm... :thumb: :bye:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Right-on,

Murdoc nailed it.

It's not the hype, that's normal,,, it's the unscupilous that damage our sport.

It's about ethics.

It's about waging war on your competitors.

Or proffiteering: making glowing posts for a supplier in exchange for a discount

It's about using the forum as a hammer to squash the competition.

It's about the abuse of privilege.

It's a privilege to post here.

a little respect is all it takes to be an asset.

A little self indulgence is all it takes to be a pimp.

Murdoc nailed it.

fo

PS. It's so easy to cheat; to treat yourself to little "fun" that we must rely on our personal honor...Toby cannot see though every post, no one can.

The Honor system is enough for most folks...

Some folks have no honor, and so nothing is likely to change.

--------

"Perseverance "DEAR" my lord keeps honor bright"

To thy own self to true,,and it will follow, as night the day, thou cannot then be false to any man, or brand,,,wink

lil' bill,,,again

right-on
fokiten

murdoc wrote:i think there's a difference between the actions toby calls pimping and others might call it.

if a user asks 'which 12m kite should i buy'
and the naishguy says buy naish, it's great
and the bestguy says: no, go for best its better

...that would be a case i wouldn't call pimping.

if brand-x guy makes himself three accounts and
starts a dialogue all by himself where he bashes other brands and/or hypes his own ... now that's pimping.

dewey
Frequent Poster

Postby dewey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:43 pm

I'll come clean. I sell wine and spirits, and if I pimp a brand I'll put in a disclaimer in.

BTW. Grey Goose and Stoli are now dead to me!!! They'll make your kiting suck!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”