Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

tube kites for snowkiteing???

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:52 pm

Is it true that a tubekite is not suitable for snowkiteing, becouse on a crash at low temperatures a tube could explode?

Thanks

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:28 pm

Yep, foils are way better for overall use on snow & land.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:53 pm

the 'reason detre' for inflatable kites was there water relaunchability.

how are you going to launch an inflatable solo. just put some sand on one tip, oh, we cant cos we are in the alps.

quite a few people are looking to use them but primarily only people who want to make some money out of sponsorship etc. so if you want to keep some retard who has never flown a proper kite fed and watered get an inflatable.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:52 pm

pfff. We are all using our inflatables here. The relaunch can be fixed with a few tricks. I've never used a foilkite, but don't think the extra investment would be worth it.
Off course the foilkite industry is trying to recover this segment as they lost everything on the water. Check http://www.kitesnowboard.com if you believe you can't kite on snow with a tubekite.

maxxed1
Rare Poster

Postby maxxed1 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:13 pm

I use my 8.8 Slingshot Torque on snow and ice if the wind is steady....it is a bit of a handfull if the wind is cooking! While my foils relaunch easier, I do like the Torque for its smooth predictable power.
mticesports.com

Kiterich
Medium Poster

Postby Kiterich » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:31 pm

Sq (simon) i think your comment about "some retard whos never flown a proper kite" is a bit lacking in judgement. Especially since the only people who actually kited at Drigg that day were on inflato`s. I seem to remember standing on the beach with my jite at the zenith watching you get spanked all over.

Kiterich
Medium Poster

Postby Kiterich » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:33 pm

On another thread, in gusty winds i have used my mach 1`s for snow kiting very successfully. I am sure they would only get better in consistant winds. The relaunch issue can be overcome by adding a 5th line but it isnt really necessary as inflatos like the mach 1 are superstable anyway.

vesku
Medium Poster

Postby vesku » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:14 pm

We use both foils (open and closed) and inflatables in winter here in Finland. Both works fine and rock! Foils are more easy to beginners but I think it is more matter of taste. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

We use inflatables generally to -15C (of course you can go lower too).

So just do it how you like it, and do not waste your time whining to others. I ride Naish X2's and Ozone Frenzys. Ride safely!

VESKU

Kiterich
Medium Poster

Postby Kiterich » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:42 pm

Well said Vesku. Whatever u got ride it thats my philosophy! And enjoy it. I hate this stupid attitude that LEI users and Foil users have some times. Foils do this LEIs do that. So what. They all work, some better than others, and in different ways. Get out and get on with it!

Just ordered my new snow board - Nitro Punisher 158 with Mikey Le Blank Binders. Should be good for kiting but wanted an all rounder as i snowboard as well.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:04 pm

piss off rich, since when did you like paying for the sponsored f-one team, that what i meant, as in inflatables are almost a tax on kiters to support large pro teams, foils don´t do this as they are much more rooots.:smile:

and as i remember everyone else got spanked at drigg, and at the estuary except yourself who displayed fine skill.

Return to “Snow / Land”