The One

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
oqion
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The One

Postby oqion » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:10 pm

There are a lot of really great kites out there right now. It’s not about what you ride, or even how you ride, it’s about having the stoke and sharing it. Well, I’m stoked so I thought I would share.

There are a lot of really great kites out there right now. It’s not about what you ride, or even how you ride, it’s about having the stoke and sharing it. Well, I’m stoked so I thought I would share.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I decided that we wanted Flat, Bow, SLE style kites. I’ve been riding for a few years and, but my girlfriend is all new to kiting. So I did the research…sort-of… and this is that story.

I have heard a lot of discussion about SLEs and how they don’t perform as well as C kites. I hear stories about too much bar pressure, not enough bar pressure, pulleys, bridles, etc. I was concerned that I wouldn’t get as much out of an SLE as other style kites. But I was willing to give up a little on performance for safety and convenience.

I like to travel and I like to kite when I do, but I don’t like taking a huge quiver of kites with me, and possibly two different boards. With two of us kiting the amount of gear would be compounded. Being able to take fewer kites was a big bonus.

Safety was a big concern. I wanted the safest kites for my girlfriend to learn on. I considered buying her an SLE and buying myself a new C kite but I decided that I needed to be flying the same kite I was teaching her on.

With all of these reasons I was still concerned that SLE kites were going to be a fad, granted a big fad, but I didn’t want my new quiver to go the way of the pickle-fork (no offence to Jimmy).

Needless to say with all of these concerns, I didn’t want to break the bank, I wanted to find good kites, but I wasn’t planning to build the full quiver. Best to keep some cash in reserves to spend on next years next generation SLEs or one of the top of the line C kites.

I bought the latest Kiteboard magazine with the new kite reviews. I dog-eared all the pages on SLEs, and started comparing.

Some companies had these really long de-power straps with extra extenders, others had pulleys, some even had both. One company even had a bar with a bungee cable to help keep the bar pressure down. I read an article in a British mag about how SLEs are less efficient, and how they don’t jump as well. I started to rethink the whole SLE thing, but what is the alternative? 5th lines? No thanks, not my style.

The biggest complaints people made about SLEs is that they didn’t feel like their old C kite. Some of the kites could split the difference. There were hybrids out there that de-powered, gave more range, but would still feel more like a C. I wondered if the SLE kites could actually have more range.

So I made a list of the features I did want, and the ones I didn’t.

The first thing I noted that I really didn’t want was pulleys on the bar. They may be a good feature, but I really was concerned about bar pressure for learning. I also didn’t want a kit with bar pressure that was too light. I don’t tend to watch the kite as I ride, I want to be able to feel where the kite is in the sky.

I tried out a couple of kites that had reverse chicken bone’s that went on your bar hook, and really light bare pressure. I never new where the kite was, there was no real grunt, or torque, and I knew that wasn’t for me any more than the really heavy bar pressure with pulleys at the bar.

I was actually very disappointed with one all but excellent bar design. It had a dynamic line that went from the chicken loop, up through a ring or pulley and back down through a cam cleat. It was beautiful. An advanced rider could leash to the line on the other side of the cam cleat and if you let go, then the bar would go all the way up to the ring just as if there were no stopper. But there were two really big downsides, first there were pulleys on the bar. Second, I didn’t completely trust the tension fitting in the stopper. I wasn’t totally sure that the dynamic line would really travel through it if it were jammed up against the bar. A third issue was the wind range advertised for this kite.

I wanted a reliable de-power system that didn’t have a 5th line, or a bar that couldn’t spin. I really liked the idea of a dynamic de-power line with the control behind the bar, and the leash attached to this dynamic line. I realized that you could have a static stopper that did not need to be punched through some tension fitting if you had this kind of leaching system on an SLE kite.

I figured I could buy a similar bar or modify a bar to have this dynamic de-power leash system.

So my list of requirements became in no particular order:

• Relatively Inexpensive.
• Modern Kite construction with good quality design.
• No Pulleys, or 5th lines on the bar
• Bar pressure not too light or too strong.
• Large Wind Range for a very reduced quiver.
• Dynamic de-power leash system

I only found one kite that met all of these requirements, and in many ways out-performed my wildest expectations.

That kite was the Ocean Rodeo One.

Relatively Inexpensive:
The price is only slightly higher than the cheapest option.

Modern Kite construction with good quality design.
Ok no one pump on the One, but if you have it laid out with other major brands you wouldn’t think that the One was any less well constructed, in fact you might notice that it’s completely bomber.

No Pulleys or 5th line on the bar:
Nicely accomplished. Along with the simplest bridle system I can find on the market.

Bar pressure not too light or too strong:
The bar pressure of the Ocean Rodeo 9m I have flown was ever so slightly greater than that of your average high performance, high aspect ration C kite. It definitely was not too light., and the flying characteristics of the One, while much more sled like than a C, were not as exaggerated and twitchy as some other brands I have tried. The kite was very stable.

Large Wind Range for a very reduced quiver:
I put the 9m up in 8 -17knts averaging about 13. I’m about 72kg. I thought there would be no way I would have enough power for much but a down-winder on a Cabrinha lab rat 141. I was overwhelmed. Not only was I powered, I flew upwind. Jumping was not exactly the same as with my old C kites (and I’m no Wienman) but it was so easy, high gliding jumps with all the yank you off the water thrill.

Dynamic de-power leash system:
All of the necessary parts are there. All that was missing was a little ring on the dynamic line to hook the leash to. It was easy enough to add though. I also added a plastic stopper to help in pulling the line free of the cam cleat. It sure beats trying to fab the whole thing on my own.

By this time you probably think I am pimping this kite. You are right I am, but I don’t work for Ocean Rodeo, I am just really excited about the kite. The one thing I would like to see them do better is the bar.

You can’t beat the value!

:thumb:

Jan

Gargaza
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

OR One

Postby Gargaza » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:55 am

I am glad to see that someone went through roughly the same, lengthy decision making process I did and also selected the OR One. I ordered mine about five weeks ago. I was told it should be delivered this week. The anticipation is almost unbearable.

b0jangl3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Barkers. South Sound
Gear: Freak Dog/EH
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog/EH/Ozone/Aboards/Brunotti/Dakine

Postby b0jangl3 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 am

Nice review....I came to the same.....mine are suppose to arrive next week :-)

shartmann
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Size

Postby shartmann » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks for the nice reading. 8)
I have a small question though: You are about 72kg. as am I. You say you went upwind and jumped in winds from 8 to 17 knts. I think this would be around 4 to 9 m/s :o . If this is true, should I cancel my order for a 12m ONE? I dont think I need a kite for lighter winds than 4m/s...

Have you tried the 12m? Is it too overpowert for a 72kg guy?

I hope you can help me. Thanks

oqion
Medium Poster

After some time with the One…

Postby oqion » Sat May 06, 2006 8:32 am

After some time with the One…

Ok, I promised several people on several forums that I would get back to my review of the One after I have had more than one experience with it.

Well, I’m not as stoked, it’s as simple as that. Don’t get me wrong, I still think the One is an incredibly good kite, but physics is physics. If you get one thing, you often have to give up another.

So what do you get?

You get a kite that doesn’t feel exactly like a C kite, but has power when it is moving. When powered, it flies really well.

It flies true, and holds it’s shape. Jumping does feel more like a C, with the rip-you-off the water feel. Only with the One you have the same requirement to keep the wing’s angle of attack by sheeting in.

The One is a very well constructed kite that can be used in _just_about_ all conditions. Like all of the flat kites, you can get by with a smaller size kite. But with the One you can even step down another size and have the kind of session you might expect to have in light winds.

What you lose.

The One 9m will completely and totally shut off between 10 and 11 knot. You might be at say 13 knot, be powered and jumping, the wind drops, just slightly, and the kite will want to stall or simply lose power.

I believe it is because the kite is so flat. Supposedly, with all of the flat kites you have to learn to fly them a bit differently. This is one of those technique things that is the cause of a lot of disagreement on the speed of a flat kit’s turning.

The technique is to sheet the kite out as you turn it, then follow though the turn and sheet the kite in. With the very high aspect kites, and the more high end C kites, it is quite common for riders to learn this without even knowing they have learned it.

Well, flat kites will respond to this technique even more than other kites. With some flat kites it seems, this technique is a necessity.

Anyone experienced with foil kites knows that you can seriously over sheet them causing them to stall.

I’m not an aeronautics expert but I can describe my experience. There is an angle at which the kite will stall, and another at which the kite will de-power to the point that it will no-longer fly. The more air moving over the wing, the greater the angle between these two angles, and the less air, the smaller the angle between the two.

In simple terms, the sweet spot and the amount of play you have between falling out of the sky de-powered and stalled and backing out of the sky, gets smaller.

In addition the, sweet spot moves. That is, the stall angle and the de-power angle do not stay the same.

The dynamics of a flat kite can have some of the same properties.

So what is going on with the One?

As the wind gets less and less, the available angles in which the kite will fly, get less and less. The problem is, that in some conditions, this gets so small that it is nearly impossible to keep the kite at the right angle. This really wouldn’t be so bad given all the great features of the kite, if it became a problem at a low enough mean wind speed very few people would even notice it. But unfortunately it is just about 11 knot with the 9m.

I don’t know about you, but where I ride, we routinely are far out into the bay when the wind comes down below this range. Routine 1k swims may sound like a good exercise regimen, but not in cold bay water dragging a kite.

And forget all about re-launch when the One goes into this mode.

My conclusion.

The One is not for beginners. This kite takes some skill to fly.
The One is not for riders who like to go far from shore when conditions could change rapidly.
The One is not for anyone who is looking for a simple kite to fly.
This kite is not for wussies.
In my opinion, the One is for an advanced rider who wants a well constructed dynamic flat kite that has regular C kite bar pressure, and can be used in almost any powered-up condition.

And defiantly NO! I don’t think that just because the 9 ~can~ power you in 13 knot, does not mean that a 12m is too big for a 75kg rider.

oqion
Medium Poster

oops almost forgot: wind speed converter

Postby oqion » Sat May 06, 2006 9:00 am

tch
Rare Poster

Postby tch » Sat May 06, 2006 11:37 pm

At 75 kgs, the Ocean Rodeo wind/weight graph shows that the 9m would be effective between high 20's to 30+ kts. That seems like much greater wind power than the 11 kts you are trying to ride it in. Why did you choose the 9m rather than the 12m (or 16) - the proper size for the conditions you are speaking of?

Do you think you would have the same issues with the 12m or is the required flying finesse you described for the 9m going to be irrelevant when powered appropriately or using the correct size kite?

oqion
Medium Poster

Postby oqion » Sun May 07, 2006 6:03 am

That is a good question! The answer is simple.

I wouldn’t expect the 9m to power –me- in 11 knots. But the kite was not for me, it was for my girlfriend who is about 55 kg. The only reason I was using it at all was because the 12s were not being delivered yet.

When it is almost impossible to launch and keep the kite in the air in 11 or 12 knots it’s not fun. Slogging in to the beach at the end of the session when the wind drops isn’t that uncommon. I wouldn’t send any beginner out on this kite, it just wouldn’t be appropriate.

Now, if you go to the OR website and look at the graph, it seems perfectly reasonable to think that someone of 55 kg could use this kite in the same conditions that someone of 75 kg could use the 12. You can’t really see the graph below (or as the graph goes, above) 50 kg. So it is reasonable to believe that the kite would at least stay in the air below 11 or 12 knot, but not be very usable.

It is also reasonable to look at that very same graph and think that the 9m One will not AT ALL fly in winds below 11 knot. This perhaps is exactly the way that this graph should be read.

I’m not saying this is a bad kite, it’s not. In fact it is a great kite. (read my first review) The only issue is for beginners, and it just won’t stay in the air at the extreme end of its lower range. I haven’t flown the 12, but I have heard that it does fly in the lower end of it’s range, and that it is far more stable than the 9.

Unfortunately, no one who doesn’t work for OR has stepped forward with a review yet. I would expect that since the kite is so flat, that it does still require more fineness to fly, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad kite.

tch
Rare Poster

Postby tch » Sun May 07, 2006 6:19 am

I guess it is hard to talk and speculate about graphs without actually putting the kite in the air in the questioned conditions . . . . Oh yeah, that is what you did. It sounds like from your experience that the 9m will not fly in winds below 11kts and the graph appears to validate your experimentation.

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the 12m performs in the same conditions for you and it appears from the graph that the 12m in 11kts and below is the proper sized kite for your girlfriend as well.

Have you taken the 9m out in good powered conditions?

I'm on the bubble trying to decide between the One and Waroo. If the design of the kite makes it too technical of a flyer I would most likely go with the Waroo, but if in the proper powered conditions it is stable with reliable performance I won't hesitate. I want to support my Pacific Northwest brothers the best I can. :thumb:

Sure wish there was some more feedback on the kite from those flying it though. Thanks for your reviews and opinions.

oqion
Medium Poster

Postby oqion » Sun May 07, 2006 8:06 am

Unless someone walks up to me and says, “Here dude, fly my 12m One and see what you are missing,â€

Return to “Reviews”