Forum for travel reports and travel questions
vjkiter
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

December/January???

Postby vjkiter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi There

I am trying to organize my kite year.....
I can spend 30-40 days from mid December till the end of Januray07.
So WHERE SHOULD I GO???
Please Please try to give me an honest info. I have a great option to buy tickets really cheap but I have to do it soon.
Ofcourse, I would love a warm enviroment. I thought about Bahamas(?), Brazil(100 people-100 different opinions-yes wind-no wind etc),Mexico(?).
Thank you very much for any suggestion.
VJ

Jibóia Repairs
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jibóia Repairs » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:48 pm

IBIRAQUERA

Continent: South America
Region: South
Next Big City (Airport): Florianopolis
Next Town: Ibiraquera
Latitude: -28.1559
Longitude: -48.6526

Water:
It's a beach break that actually works like a point break; cause there is an island right in front of the point (1 mile distance from the beach) that shapes the sand bottom perfectly and it makes perfect rights. The waves break far away from the shore (to be a beach break 250m) so you have 100m of flat water to perform progressive freestyle tricks and then perfect waves to rip! It holds every swell size from 2-10 feet (0.5-3m). Near the beach you also have a lagoon that works with every wind direction and it's perfectly flat for freestyle. Waves year around especially in May the waves can get as high as 15 feet (4.5m). People tow-in in this surf area. Kite surfing on the Lagoon of Ibiraquera is very safe, 0.5-1.7 meters deep, and is pretty flat without obstacles

Beach:
The beautiful beach is perfectly safe since it is a long sandy beach without any dangerous rocks downwind from the point. So you can land and launch your kite safely.

Weather:
September to November: short wetsuit, air 27°C. December to April: shorts and a lycra (as sun protection), air more than 33°C. April to May: shortly again, air 22°C. May to August: long wetsuit (3.2 mm), air 22°C. When the winds are from the Northeast, the water is not warm

Wind:
North: sideoffshore
Northwest: Offshore
West: sideoffshore
Southwest: sideshore
South: sideonshore
Southeast: Onshore
East: Side onshore
Northeast: Side shore
The wind blows all the year. You can kite almost 4 days in a week. From 7-20 knots normally during a day but during the spring season it can have 22-25 knots. The best season it’s from September to March. The usual direction its from the NE but also you can sail with S, SW, SE and N.

Remember that the place is Kauli Seadi"s Home, so if you see him sailing just beside you don't be surprised !!!!!!

How to get there:
From the Airport of Florianopolis you drive 75 km south on the highway BR 101, there will be the crossroad for the city of Garopaba and some signs from the beach of Ibiraquera or Lagoon of Ibiraquera. If you come by bus, from the airport of Florianopolis you must take a taxi to the main bus station than take a bus to Garopaba.

Rules & Restrictions: Just keep tuned in what you’re doing just like at any other spot !!

Nightlife:
It's great! Especially during summer (December to March). It's a surf town, here everybody lives and breath surf! Lots of surf bars and discos, great music, from electronic, reggae, hip-hop, to Brazilian music. Hot babes, small bikinis and beautiful blond ladies. And spectacular places to eat. The jet set of brazil spend their vacations here, so it’s very secure. You should go to Jamaica Bar! The party here starts really late, and ends even more lately, with all the people dancing on the beach.

If feel like ready to enjoy the paradise,for further information
contact me at jiboiarepairs@yahoo.com.br
Cheers

Kite Adventures
Frequent Poster
Location: San Francisco, CA and Brazil (Kite Adventures tourism company)

Postby Kite Adventures » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:40 pm

FORTALEZA-CUMBUCO-PARACURU-JERICOACOARA , Brazil WITH THE KITE ADVENTURES CREW!
WOOT!

Hooked Cabarete
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Encuentro cabarete
Kitebeach Cabarete
Workum the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Encuentro
Style: Waveriding
Location: HookedCabarete.com Hotel/Apartments rental Cabarete/Encuentro

Postby Hooked Cabarete » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Cabarete can be an option for you. Of course, summertime is the best for kiting, but this means almost every day windforce 6 (beauford) (so almost perfect). From December until May it normally is also pretty good. The last months, starting in December (and even in November we had good wind a lot of times) we had a lot of wind. I think approximately 5 out of 7 days wind. Just bring a few different sizes of kites and for sure you can kite a lot. The wind is most of the times very stable and almost always side-shore.

Temperature in December and Januari is about 25 to 27 degrees (celcius). Water is always warm. You never need a wetsuit; just a lycra for the sun. There are different spots here. There is Bozo Beach, Kitebeach and Encuentro with bozo beach a little choppy, kitebeach more flat and Encuentro great waves. It is also really nice to make downwinders from kitebeach or la Boca (where the river ends in the ocean) and end in Encuentro.

Cabarete is a nice place with lots of (kite)surfers, good admosphere, many restaurants and great nightlife. People here are very friendly. If you are here for over a month, it is definitely worth while to see a bit more of the country. It is beautiful with a lot of variation and there is a lot to do here (like rafting, mountain trips, surfing, wakeboarding, etc.).

If you need more information or have questions, or if you need accommodation , you can always send me an e-mail (info@hookedcabarete.com ). We have apartments here.

Cheers,
Chantal
http://www.hookedcabarete.com

Kite Brazil
Medium Poster
Location: Florida. (Affiliation: Ozone Travel Kiteboarding and Kite Fever!)

December/January

Postby Kite Brazil » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 am

Have heard a lot about Ibiraquera lately - does sound fantastic! Northeast, too!
For a month's stay, that would probably be it, although Cabarete would be loads of fun, as well.

Other options- St. Lucia, Bahamas (Exumas for quiet out-island, Nassau for larger city/nightlife, etc...) and Venezuela!

How cool- enjoy!|

pascal vietnam
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mui Ne Beach & Suoi Nuoc Beach

Postby pascal vietnam » Mon May 08, 2006 6:59 am

Vietnam of course

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon May 08, 2006 6:16 pm

If you have a cheap ticket, 40 days and look for wind + wave => Western Australia

I would like to get back there but no time...

moheet
Rare Poster

Kenya's Southcoast in Dec/ Jan!!!

Postby moheet » Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 am

Hi Vjkiter,

Kenya´s Southcoast is the place to be, especially in Decembre and in January! By then the wind has turned from South to North and we have the best Trade Winds coming down our shores! The beaches are like in Paradise! If you are interested, I am more than happy to help out! Just give me a tinckle! chip@moheet.de

Chip

headwound
Medium Poster

come to the bahamas

Postby headwound » Tue May 16, 2006 1:27 am

check out thekitehouse.com (bahamas)
rocken place to ride uncrowded beaches good wind.

kitesurfvenezuela
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Los roques, adicora, coche.yaque,restinga,tortuga,tobago.
Favorite Beaches: Los roques
Style: wave
Gear: Crossbow II 12. Custom 133

Postby kitesurfvenezuela » Wed May 17, 2006 3:15 pm

hi there! Los Roques is absolute paradise http://kitesurf.wtfe.com guided tours

Return to “Travel”