Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:58 pm

I think snowkiting will be a big sport in the future.

You just need snow and some wind and you can have fun!

Imagine the big space in Russia, Scandinavia, Canada, USA, ....

Will it be bigger than kitesurfing?
I guess both sports will push each other.
If you are doing it on snow, I guess you also want to do it on the water. It will be just a matter of where you live, but both parts will be atracted to at least try it out.

Good for our future, if both sport increase,this way we will get a bigger lobby with influence on bans and restrictions.

Any comments?

Toby

Lenze
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lenze » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:08 pm

Totally agree with you Toby. Here in Finland you can go kiting almost any time of the year. If you have a dry suit you _can_ go kiting any time of the year cause then the cold waters on Autumn/Spring don't bother you.

Of course when it's really cold (under -25 C) there's not much sense going kiting.

_____
Lenze

Kiterich
Medium Poster

Postby Kiterich » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:09 pm

Toby, i seem suprised to see you on this forum as you were questionning the relevance of snowkiting on the other pages imo? Do you snowkite or are you just an interested party?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:59 pm

Hi,

normally I don't post much stuff in here, since I really have no clou about snowkiting, so I better shut up... :wink:

But since it is so cold here and we got some snow my localgyus got all excited about snowkiting.
So I made my thoughts about doing it myself or not. And reading and talking a lot about kiting in general this question came into my mind.
Now I was interested in your guys opinion, who are doing it.

Greets
Toby

PS: now the snow is gone... :sad:

Lenze
Medium Poster

Postby Lenze » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:34 pm

On 2003-01-13 22:59, Toby wrote:
PS: now the snow is gone... :sad:
Yeah, it's propably come here.. Want some? We have more than enough already...

_____
Lenze

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:42 am

Here In Latvia we are snowkiting a lot only problem is snowkiting is posible only on weekends becose olredy at 16:00 is geting dark. But snowkiting is realy fun. Experienced riders are saing that snowkiting is 90% fun of kitesurfing. And snowkiting is much mor easier to learn than kitesurfing. I am a beginer and I know what I say. So everyone who have a snow or ice and a kite try it it is fun. I was snowkiting in -20 Celsius and you forget cold. And in -20 wind has 16% more power than in +20 so you need smaller kite. So Toby if you go to north where is ice or snow do not forget to take kites with you.

Nimbus2000
Medium Poster

Postby Nimbus2000 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:37 pm

Hi Maris,

must be good in Latvia, I've been in Lithuania and saw nothing but fields and fields and fields (with short grass), with no trees obstructing the wind and flat land allowing the wind to flow freely. Same in Latvia?

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:51 pm

Yes the same here in Latvia and Riga gulf this winter is also frozen. Every lake in Latvia is forosen and one of them is in Riga so in 30 minutes from whatever place in city you can be on ice or snow and kiting.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:29 am

sounds great, guys!

So I wish you lots of fun and be careful, even snow can be hard... :wink:

Enjoy
Toby

Lenze
Medium Poster

Postby Lenze » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:17 pm

So I wish you lots of fun and be careful, even snow can be hard... :wink:
Enjoy
Toby
True! Not to even mention about how hard plain ice can be! So it happened that it hasn't snown in over a month or so here and almost all snow from the ice has melted and re-frozen into ice as well :(

Stupid I was three weeks ago I was kiting in a gusty 6-10m/s weather on ice with only 5-10cm of snow on it and lots of spots with no snow at all. Could get a good grip though since the ice was quite grainy.

I hadn't succeeded in jumping with my 4.9 m2 Blade II earlier. This time I - unfortunately it turned out - succeeded. I started to turn the kite upwards from quite low (almost from the surface of the ice) and took it all the way to 13 o'clock while edging really hard at the same time. I was pulled up fast (what a surprise) and I somehow couldn't anymore tell where the kite was - or where the ground (i.e. ice) was. At the same time a gust hit the kite and I was pulled up and downwind even more.

I landed elbow first, lost one ski and managed to roll over the quick release shackle so that my kite got loose as well. Murphy's law hit me really bad that day. Luckily my kite had stalled and hit the ground after the "jump" and it didn't re-launch so I managed to grab the leash after a short run.

I cannot estimate the hight of the jump, but horizontally it was over 20 meters...

My elbow is still aching after three and a half weeks. Unfortunately all the sport stores had already sold out all knee and elbow protection. All what was left was ice hockey protection which costs a fortune (a single elbow protection 50€) :(

So be careful out there... Even ice can be hard!

_____
Lenze

Return to “Snow / Land”