Fone Mach1

Forum for kitesurfers
Zazza
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zazza » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:15 pm

You said, that the Mach1 is earlier than the Airblast, but can you fly it although as long as the Airblast??

I wanted to buy an Airblast 8,4 or the Hydro 9. I heard the Airblast begins at 3,5 the Hydro at 3, but you can fly the airblast 1 bft longer than the Hydro.

But it would be perfekt, if i can start the Mach1 like the Hydro 9, and fly as long as the Airblast 8,4.

Sorry for my bad english =)
Zazza

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:32 pm

Hydro 9 starts at 3 Beaufort?
maybe if you don't have weight and and a big board.
What do you weight? And which board are you using?

Zazza
Rare Poster

Postby Zazza » Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:57 pm

My weight is 60 kg. I ride the 6.6 Hifly, but i want to change to a smaller twin.

So.. can i use the Hydro as long as the Airblast??
Zazza

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zazza on 2002-04-25 18:59 ]</font>

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:02 pm

Due to the deeper profile of the Hydro I think that you can fly the Airblast longer.
The Airblast creates its most power when moved. The Hydro pulls more due to its deeper profile which catches more wind, but isn't that fast therefore less lift.
Depending on your skill your should get the Hydro if you are beginner and if you are advanced go for the Airblast.

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:10 pm

I've been using Hydro 9 and 11 for most of my kiting, I just picked up a Mach1 18.0
I was shocked at the amount of power I could generate by flying the kite around, This kite is as probably as powerful as the Flysurfer Mastair 12.0, (I just sold) But, I have concluded It's hard to go up wind with any big kite. It seems that as you fly it up and down the kite works it's way back in the window reducing upwind performance. Which brings me to my point. Sure, the wind range of a kite is bigger with a higher AR, but I would rather just switch to the right size Hydro for the conditions and not have to fly it around so much. Example: Yesterday it was about 20 kts onshore with 2-3' waves breaking over a large sand bar. My two friends were flying High AR kites while I was on the hydro 9.0. We're about equal in ability and kite size. They were flying their kites around to generate power, while I could just leave the hydro there and spend more time working on my (not so great) wave skills. So, I think big kite High AR - smaller kites lower AR. As far as jumping goes, I'm still a novice, I'm surprised the extra couple of feet really matters unless your competing or something, I mean isn't it all relative? (I'm sure to eat those word some day), it's all fun/Lane

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:51 pm

I have got the mach 1 in all sizes from 9 - 18. And i think I need everyone! The difference between the kites is perfect, and to go aout in every wind you need all these 4 Kites! I think normaly you don't need the 7, and maybe don't need the 9m too. when you have to choose two sizes I would take the 12 and 15!! Then you have a really big range!

BlueSky
Frequent Poster

Postby BlueSky » Wed May 01, 2002 7:07 am

I have my Fone Mach1s now and they rock!! Don't believe there's a better kite at the moment!! (including X2, I saw yesterday)

Didn't choose the 18 in the end, because I like the overlap because my girlfriend will be using a size smaller. Had some doubts, because I liked the lower windrange of the 18.1. But am very happy now!

Thanks for all your replies.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed May 01, 2002 9:47 pm

I think there is a big difference in flying a kite and seeing a kite! I tested both, X2 and Mach 1. But in different sizes, so I can't compare them. The 15.1 Mach1 is a great kite, turns real fast and is fun jumping with. When I can test the X2 in an according size, I will post it.

Postby Guest » Thu May 02, 2002 9:40 am

HI Independent,

could you please give me a quick impression on your Hydro 11 ? Are 9 and 11 close in feeling ?

Thanks and aloha

Jürgen
On 2002-04-26 15:10, lndpnt wrote:
I've been using Hydro 9 and 11 for most of my kiting, I just picked up a Mach1 18.0
I was shocked at the amount of power I could generate by flying the kite around, This kite is as probably as powerful as the Flysurfer Mastair 12.0, (I just sold) But, I have concluded It's hard to go up wind with any big kite. It seems that as you fly it up and down the kite works it's way back in the window reducing upwind performance. Which brings me to my point. Sure, the wind range of a kite is bigger with a higher AR, but I would rather just switch to the right size Hydro for the conditions and not have to fly it around so much. Example: Yesterday it was about 20 kts onshore with 2-3' waves breaking over a large sand bar. My two friends were flying High AR kites while I was on the hydro 9.0. We're about equal in ability and kite size. They were flying their kites around to generate power, while I could just leave the hydro there and spend more time working on my (not so great) wave skills. So, I think big kite High AR - smaller kites lower AR. As far as jumping goes, I'm still a novice, I'm surprised the extra couple of feet really matters unless your competing or something, I mean isn't it all relative? (I'm sure to eat those word some day), it's all fun/Lane

Return to “Kitesurfing”