CROSS this one and get your ass kicked

Forum for kitesurfers
ruffridah89
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ruffridah89 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Rick, how do u set up proof connectors???
thanx,
Danny

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:42 pm

This would be a lot easier with pictures, but I will do my best.

Find some line, you want 2 different colors, preferably red and blue or green. It needs to be strong, 2/3mm dyneema or spectra cored rope is best.

Cut 2 pieces of red and 2 pieces of the other color 40cm long, make sure they are as close as possible to the same length.

Tie a figure 8 knot in the end of each one, making sure it is the same distance from the ends of the rope, so that all the loops you are making are the same length.

The red loops will be fitted to the left side of your kite, the other color on the right.

The way most brands fit them to their kites is loops for the front lines and knots for the rear.

So you need to larkshead these loops you made so that your front lines are connected by making a larkshead with the loop attachd to the kite and attaching that to the front line which will be fitted with knots, and do the reverse for the rears.

If you cannot work this out, have a look at a 2006 kite from any of the top brands, copy what you see.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

ruffridah89 wrote:Rick, how do u set up proof connectors???
thanx,
Danny

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Thanks Steve. I wrote a couple of articles about how to do this last year or the year before. I can't find them online but have the photos. So, I just put one approach together at:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2328861

It is best to use the stronger spectra, dyneema or Kevlar line as Steve says. Even better if you have the line/cord from the factory in two different colors for starters. Coloring your own doesn't work all that well.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

diablo943
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches?! We don't need no stinking beaches.
Style: backcountry
Gear: Best Kites, Ozone kites, Venture board, Black Diamond Skis
Brand Affiliation: Drift Snowkite Magazine is the first product from our company Stratus Media Solutions LLC

Postby diablo943 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:36 am

I sure love the color coded and numbered system that my Ozone kite has. It is simple and obvious when you get things wrong.

Once I "landed" my kite so the lines straddled a small tree in a park. Of course, the kite was leading edge down when I "landed" it. I couldn't relaunch because of the lines on either side of the tree and the tree was just tall enough that I couldn't manually reach the lines back over.

When I stopped laughing I undid one side of the kite, walked the lines around the tree, and reattached them. I knew I had it correct because all the colors and numbers matched. Just to be safe I walked the lines down to make sure that I hadn't crossed any lines, and I was off again.

A good system is critical, but the operator should always take another minute to check the system.

Diablo

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:16 pm

I was asked a couple of questions about 2 pages back but for the first time in 3 weeks we've had wind. Sorry for the delay. It's hard to describe how my bar got twisted, but let's say I was in a rush, which seems to be the way these things start. So now prior to launching I always double check the lines, I also double check that the bridle is not wrapped around the wing tips or inflation struts (something I have had happen both on the beach and in the water). I also tell the person who is going to launch me I will take 15 seconds before giving them the thumbs up. Once the kite is in position I mentally run the lines back to the bar and then I now run the bar lines through the pulleys. With the Cab bar you also have to be very careful not to get the back lines wrapped around the power/depower straps. In only takes 15 seconds but is very easy and you just have to quickly follow each line from the kite back.

As far as checking your line lengths just who them all to a fence, tree etc. and run them out. When fully sheeted in they should all be pulling the same. If not the best solution I have found is to stretch the one's that are short.

kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m

help if...

Postby kitefrog » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:24 pm

If you ever see someone let go of a kite and it doesn't fly up from the edge of the window and instead sits there with an unstable slight shake.

RUN over and grab it, there is probably a front-back cross and the kiters doen't have the steering input on the side to steer it up.

I've done this twice and saved a possible agro mare. KF.

thesimianprince
Rare Poster

Postby thesimianprince » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:06 pm

Happened to me about 18 months ago in Margate UK, when I launched a kite that had been rigged by a (more experienced) friend. As it launched I knew it wasn't flying right, but didn't immediately understand why, or have any inkling as to what was most likely to happen next. It was about 25 knots cross-on and the kite was a 9m. As KF mentioned it did have an 'unstable slight shake' prior to launch but I was not experienced enough at the time to recognise this for what it was. I remember the kite flying towards the middle of the window, and the next thing I knew I had a face full of sand/shells/grit etc. Due to disorientation etc during my merry beach drag it was not possible to hit the QR. I think the kite looped just once prior to crashing directly downwind of me. I guess I was dragged only about 50-60 yards, and suffered only very minor cuts/abrasions/bruises. I'm not sure why it wasn't a whole lot worse; I knew at the time I had got off really lightly, and consider myself very lucky.

My advice:

1. Never launch a kite you haven't rigged yourself (or at least seen flying properly prior to using it).
2. If subsequent to launch the kite doesn't immediately react the way it should, hit your QR. Don't try to fly yourself out of trouble.
3. I also rig my kites by myself - do not let others get involved/rig one side while you do the other etc. Only then can you be sure.
4. I run my lines out at least twice and properly concentrate when rigging up. Complacency is your greatest enemy.
5. Whatever method you use to rig up eg downwind/upwind etc always do it exactly the same way each time.
6. Take your time!

Not sure why the kite was rigged wrong by my mate, but I know he was just as relieved as me (probably moreso), and yes we're still friends :)

Good thread, hope this helps. Agree that manufacturers could and should do more to make kites 'kook' proof.

Cheers,
Jonas

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks for telling your story. Some information received to date suggests that the man that launched at Washoe Lake was using a 9 m kite in about 25 kts. with crossed lines. You were fortunate in your experience needless to say.

Question, after you launched, you noticed the kite hesitate **, once it took off, did it blast completely across the wind window to drag you in the opposite direction from that which the kite was originally pointed to? This happens a fair amount with crossed lines.

Regarding hesitating kites**, this also seems to be a trait with improperly rigged kites. The kite fails to "bite" into the wind automatically. When we assist someone to launch, it is good to look down the lines to make sure the leading edge lines converge to a "Vee" in the center of the bar. Also, the kite should "want" to take off if the lines are rigged right and you are at an appropriate angle to the wind.

Other experiences out there?

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

thesimianprince
Rare Poster

Postby thesimianprince » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Rick,

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. There was definitely enough time for me to have hit the QR before the kite took off through the window. I'd say it 'hesitated' at the edge of the window for 2-3 seconds before making its move through the window to the other side. However I'm not sure this would always be the case?

srrc
Medium Poster

Postby srrc » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Very similar experience to Sea & Sun, spotted top lines were crossed as experienced friend held kite up ready to launch, shouted to him to wait.
As I put my head down to undo the harness loop he let go.
Next thing I know is waking up in the helicopter heading for hospital.
The sheer power of the whiplash must have knocked me out, then apparently the rocks added more hits as the kite took me up twice and bounced me around.
Have changed to new hybrid now, the bridle, colour coding etc makes the chances of getting it wrong far less likely. The depower facility has helped restore confidence too.
The huge forces involved make me wonder if I could have done anything to save myself even if I had stayed concious.

Return to “Kitesurfing”