*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:32 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 1114
Location: To my fan (*)(*)
Tom183 wrote:
How was the windspeed measured?

And just how flat is this kite?

And what does it weigh?

Sounds like a close match for the Speed 17m (or at least, closer), but I'd have to try both in the same conditions.


The wind was measured by a windmeter at beach level and later also compared to the wind measurement by the local bureau of metheorology.

From looking at the kite in the air, the kite seems flatter than the Switchblade. Not sure how it compares to the Crossbow as I didn't see one to compare.

The weight of the 17 is 9.5lbs or 4.3kg.

It would be cool to compare it with a Speed 17. Anyone????

It would be great to compare it along key dimensions (weight, turning speed, lift, hangtime, dewpower/wind range, relauncheability, up wind performance, etc.).

P


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:19 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Posts: 3332
Location: The United Mistakes of America
Phillipp wrote:
The weight of the 17 is 9.5lbs or 4.3kg.

It would be cool to compare it with a Speed 17. Anyone????

It would be great to compare it along key dimensions (weight, turning speed, lift, hangtime, dewpower/wind range, relauncheability, up wind performance, etc.).


Come on up to New England and we'll trade off - if this $&*$@$# rain ever stops... :evil: :x

Speed 17m weighs about 3.6kg (8lbs), so pretty close (only 20% lighter).

Some guesses:
Turning speed - I would hope the Contra wins on this, otherwise what's the point of all that pumping?
Lift/Hangtime - Speed.
Depower - Contra.
Relaunch - pretty similar.
Upwind - Speed.

Usable low-end on water (holding ground upwind, with appropriate board) probably will vary somewhat depending on rider weight - I think the Speed will probably win for average-to-heavy riders as I would bet it has more power. Lighter riders might do better with the Contra as I think the extra depower should make it easier to keep in the air in less wind.


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:02 am 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 1:40 am
Posts: 37
Location: New Zealand - Queenstown
Tom183 wrote:

Speed 17m weighs about 3.6kg (8lbs), so pretty close (only 20% lighter).

Some guesses:
Turning speed - I would hope the Contra wins on this, otherwise what's the point of all that pumping?
Lift/Hangtime - Speed.
Depower - Contra.
Relaunch - pretty similar.
Upwind - Speed.

Usable low-end on water (holding ground upwind, with appropriate board) probably will vary somewhat depending on rider weight - I think the Speed will probably win for average-to-heavy riders as I would bet it has more power. Lighter riders might do better with the Contra as I think the extra depower should make it easier to keep in the air in less wind.


I would be very interested too to know how these two kites compare to each other as I'm in the market for a light-wind kite. Is there a shop owner that carries both brands willing to do the comparison for us and write a little review???

DickSticker


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:50 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Posts: 3332
Location: The United Mistakes of America
We need two guys to do a proper comparison - one guy who knows how to fly the Speed, and one guy who likes the Contra. They switch kites, discuss over a pint of beer, then write separate reviews.


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:47 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:07 pm
Posts: 1417
Location: NW Pacific
Based on the weight of my contra14 and how nicely it turns and jumps and relaunches and all the rest of the shit on Tom's list, I would bet that the Contra 17 outdoes the Speed 17 (which I own) on every count except speed on the water (by a rat's whisker), upwind, and setup.


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:17 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Posts: 3332
Location: The United Mistakes of America
chemosavi wrote:
Based on the weight of my contra14 and how nicely it turns and jumps and relaunches and all the rest of the shit on Tom's list, I would bet that the Contra 17 outdoes the Speed 17 (which I own) on every count except speed on the water (by a rat's whisker), upwind, and setup.


You mean Phillipp's list.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Contra 17 and Custom 133
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:30 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Washington DC
Phillipp,

I weight 165 pounds (75kgs) and have a TD 12m. I had a Cabrinha Nitro 17m that I just sold, and I am planning to buy a Contra for light winds and start kiting at 8knots. I had surgery in both my elbows due to tennis elbow and I think I am totally recovered. Would you recommend the Contra 17, or the 14 to start sailing at 8knots without loosing to much ground and going downwind?

I also own a Cabrinha Custom 133 and a Martin Vari 148. Below in this discussion, it is mentioned that the combination Contra 17 with the Custom 133 does not work for light winds, because of the board rocker, etc. However, I do not like the Martin Vari to go upwind in light or strong wind, because I need to work to much with my back leg to sink the edge in the water and go upwind..... something that does not happer with the Custom. May be I shoud sell the Martin Vari and buy a Custom 138???

Could you please advice me on these two issues.

Thanks,
Santiago


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:48 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:51 pm
Posts: 308
A board can really make difference. I'm riding icon 130-35 and yesterday i tried a 122-35 selfmade board. It was easier to stay upwind on the 122 while that board is smaller. It has more flex, wider tips.

Icon is not really working when it is ligter wind and chop. Flat water is great on icon. I think that also counts a bit for the custom.


Btw, i came across a picture from suzi mai. She is riding a 'looks like a custom' but the tips are sqaure. Its another board. WIll this be the new cabrinha board??


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 am
Posts: 111
Location: Germany
how can you look at the board watching this photo

:o :D :o :D


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Contra 17 and Custom 133
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:45 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 1114
Location: To my fan (*)(*)
solsoler wrote:
Phillipp,

I weight 165 pounds (75kgs) and have a TD 12m. I had a Cabrinha Nitro 17m that I just sold, and I am planning to buy a Contra for light winds and start kiting at 8knots. I had surgery in both my elbows due to tennis elbow and I think I am totally recovered. Would you recommend the Contra 17, or the 14 to start sailing at 8knots without loosing to much ground and going downwind?

I also own a Cabrinha Custom 133 and a Martin Vari 148. Below in this discussion, it is mentioned that the combination Contra 17 with the Custom 133 does not work for light winds, because of the board rocker, etc. However, I do not like the Martin Vari to go upwind in light or strong wind, because I need to work to much with my back leg to sink the edge in the water and go upwind..... something that does not happer with the Custom. May be I shoud sell the Martin Vari and buy a Custom 138???

Could you please advice me on these two issues.

Thanks,
Santiago


Solsoler,

based on your weight you could go with a contra 14, but you would require a wide board (preferably 44cm+ wide) or a skimboard.

Otherwise I would go for the 17m Contra. I've just had a session on it in 6-9 knots and it was fun considering the low wind.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more details.

P


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group