Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pictures Speak More Than 1000 Words (CONTRA 17)...

what bothers you?
anything to say without your name?

keep flaming - here's your chance !


User avatar
Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: To my fan (*)(*)
Contact:

Postby Phillipp » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:32 am

Tom183 wrote:How was the windspeed measured?

And just how flat is this kite?

And what does it weigh?

Sounds like a close match for the Speed 17m (or at least, closer), but I'd have to try both in the same conditions.


The wind was measured by a windmeter at beach level and later also compared to the wind measurement by the local bureau of metheorology.

From looking at the kite in the air, the kite seems flatter than the Switchblade. Not sure how it compares to the Crossbow as I didn't see one to compare.

The weight of the 17 is 9.5lbs or 4.3kg.

It would be cool to compare it with a Speed 17. Anyone????

It would be great to compare it along key dimensions (weight, turning speed, lift, hangtime, dewpower/wind range, relauncheability, up wind performance, etc.).

P

User avatar
Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3332
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: The United Mistakes of America

Postby Tom183 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Phillipp wrote:The weight of the 17 is 9.5lbs or 4.3kg.

It would be cool to compare it with a Speed 17. Anyone????

It would be great to compare it along key dimensions (weight, turning speed, lift, hangtime, dewpower/wind range, relauncheability, up wind performance, etc.).


Come on up to New England and we'll trade off - if this $&*$@$# rain ever stops... :evil: :x

Speed 17m weighs about 3.6kg (8lbs), so pretty close (only 20% lighter).

Some guesses:
Turning speed - I would hope the Contra wins on this, otherwise what's the point of all that pumping?
Lift/Hangtime - Speed.
Depower - Contra.
Relaunch - pretty similar.
Upwind - Speed.

Usable low-end on water (holding ground upwind, with appropriate board) probably will vary somewhat depending on rider weight - I think the Speed will probably win for average-to-heavy riders as I would bet it has more power. Lighter riders might do better with the Contra as I think the extra depower should make it easier to keep in the air in less wind.

User avatar
DickSticker
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 1:40 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: New Zealand - Queenstown

Postby DickSticker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:02 am

Tom183 wrote:
Speed 17m weighs about 3.6kg (8lbs), so pretty close (only 20% lighter).

Some guesses:
Turning speed - I would hope the Contra wins on this, otherwise what's the point of all that pumping?
Lift/Hangtime - Speed.
Depower - Contra.
Relaunch - pretty similar.
Upwind - Speed.

Usable low-end on water (holding ground upwind, with appropriate board) probably will vary somewhat depending on rider weight - I think the Speed will probably win for average-to-heavy riders as I would bet it has more power. Lighter riders might do better with the Contra as I think the extra depower should make it easier to keep in the air in less wind.


I would be very interested too to know how these two kites compare to each other as I'm in the market for a light-wind kite. Is there a shop owner that carries both brands willing to do the comparison for us and write a little review???

DickSticker

User avatar
Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3332
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: The United Mistakes of America

Postby Tom183 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:50 pm

We need two guys to do a proper comparison - one guy who knows how to fly the Speed, and one guy who likes the Contra. They switch kites, discuss over a pint of beer, then write separate reviews.

User avatar
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:07 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Location: NW Pacific

Postby chemosavi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:47 pm

Based on the weight of my contra14 and how nicely it turns and jumps and relaunches and all the rest of the shit on Tom's list, I would bet that the Contra 17 outdoes the Speed 17 (which I own) on every count except speed on the water (by a rat's whisker), upwind, and setup.

User avatar
Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3332
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: The United Mistakes of America

Postby Tom183 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:17 am

chemosavi wrote:Based on the weight of my contra14 and how nicely it turns and jumps and relaunches and all the rest of the shit on Tom's list, I would bet that the Contra 17 outdoes the Speed 17 (which I own) on every count except speed on the water (by a rat's whisker), upwind, and setup.


You mean Phillipp's list.

solsoler
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Washington DC

Contra 17 and Custom 133

Postby solsoler » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Phillipp,

I weight 165 pounds (75kgs) and have a TD 12m. I had a Cabrinha Nitro 17m that I just sold, and I am planning to buy a Contra for light winds and start kiting at 8knots. I had surgery in both my elbows due to tennis elbow and I think I am totally recovered. Would you recommend the Contra 17, or the 14 to start sailing at 8knots without loosing to much ground and going downwind?

I also own a Cabrinha Custom 133 and a Martin Vari 148. Below in this discussion, it is mentioned that the combination Contra 17 with the Custom 133 does not work for light winds, because of the board rocker, etc. However, I do not like the Martin Vari to go upwind in light or strong wind, because I need to work to much with my back leg to sink the edge in the water and go upwind..... something that does not happer with the Custom. May be I shoud sell the Martin Vari and buy a Custom 138???

Could you please advice me on these two issues.

Thanks,
Santiago

blacktip
Frequent Poster
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:51 pm

Postby blacktip » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:48 pm

A board can really make difference. I'm riding icon 130-35 and yesterday i tried a 122-35 selfmade board. It was easier to stay upwind on the 122 while that board is smaller. It has more flex, wider tips.

Icon is not really working when it is ligter wind and chop. Flat water is great on icon. I think that also counts a bit for the custom.


Btw, i came across a picture from suzi mai. She is riding a 'looks like a custom' but the tips are sqaure. Its another board. WIll this be the new cabrinha board??

ElHombre
Medium Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany

Postby ElHombre » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 am

how can you look at the board watching this photo

:o :D :o :D

User avatar
Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: To my fan (*)(*)
Contact:

Re: Contra 17 and Custom 133

Postby Phillipp » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:45 am

solsoler wrote:Phillipp,

I weight 165 pounds (75kgs) and have a TD 12m. I had a Cabrinha Nitro 17m that I just sold, and I am planning to buy a Contra for light winds and start kiting at 8knots. I had surgery in both my elbows due to tennis elbow and I think I am totally recovered. Would you recommend the Contra 17, or the 14 to start sailing at 8knots without loosing to much ground and going downwind?

I also own a Cabrinha Custom 133 and a Martin Vari 148. Below in this discussion, it is mentioned that the combination Contra 17 with the Custom 133 does not work for light winds, because of the board rocker, etc. However, I do not like the Martin Vari to go upwind in light or strong wind, because I need to work to much with my back leg to sink the edge in the water and go upwind..... something that does not happer with the Custom. May be I shoud sell the Martin Vari and buy a Custom 138???

Could you please advice me on these two issues.

Thanks,
Santiago


Solsoler,

based on your weight you could go with a contra 14, but you would require a wide board (preferably 44cm+ wide) or a skimboard.

Otherwise I would go for the 17m Contra. I've just had a session on it in 6-9 knots and it was fun considering the low wind.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more details.

P


Return to “Flamer's Paradise”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests