hugoc
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ABS Rails - How?

Postby hugoc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:39 pm

Hello,

I've heard allot about using ABS Rails - how is the laminate done with ABS Rails? Where do I buy them online?

I've built my first board and it turned out awesome - I'll post pictures soon once I get it painted. Thanks to all those that helped. :thumb:

When I did the rails I wrapped the bottom laminate to the top and top laminate to the bottom - does this not give the board a bit more strength and less chance for delamination instead of just butting up against the plastic rail?

Thanks guys :bye:

buddy2227
Rare Poster

Postby buddy2227 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:24 am

anyone?

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:12 am

http://www.racingfinish.co.uk. You dont need to wrap the rails .If you want to then do. One piece rails is the way to go .

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:36 am

crabman wrote:www.racingfinish.co.uk. You dont need to wrap the rails .If you want to then do. One piece rails is the way to go .
Crabman,

Is the ABS Plastic glued to the foam core? Where can I buy this online?

When you say wrap, are you saying to wrap the plastic with material when laminating the board? I'm confused here because than the edge will not have the ABS exposed...

Thanks,

Hugo

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Hugoc ,I use one piece ABS .Make your foam shape smaller to take the ABS.When shaping the ABS leave some access so you can trim to your final shape . Dont wrap the ABS ,Any good plastic company will have it in stock . Have a look at racingfinish . Do the same in foam :thumb:

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:21 pm

crabman wrote:Hugoc ,I use one piece ABS .Make your foam shape smaller to take the ABS.When shaping the ABS leave some access so you can trim to your final shape . Dont wrap the ABS ,Any good plastic company will have it in stock . Have a look at racingfinish . Do the same in foam :thumb:
When you laminate, do you just butt the laminate to the abs and than sand any excess once it's cured under vacuum?

For my first board I didn't use ABS and I wrapped the edes with the laminate - doesn't this make the structure of the laminate stronger than simply glueing it to the plastic - that's probably why some boards delaminate... The ABS is probably a stronger edge but I'm not convinced yet that it makes a stronger overall board.

Thanks for the advice crabman :bye:

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 pm

When you lay up you simply lay the cloth over the core and ABS . let it cure and trim to the shape required .You need to sand the ABS to get a good bond .Overlapping is time consuming and the rails will ding .With ABS if you ding you can sand out.If you want a strong board look at your lay up schedule ,thats where its at .De lamination is normaly due to poor prep. :thumb:

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 pm

crabman wrote:When you lay up you simply lay the cloth over the core and ABS . let it cure and trim to the shape required .You need to sand the ABS to get a good bond .Overlapping is time consuming and the rails will ding .With ABS if you ding you can sand out.If you want a strong board look at your lay up schedule ,thats where its at .De lamination is normaly due to poor prep. :thumb:
Once again good stuff - thanks :bye:

Return to “Gear Builders”