Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Caution versus Rhino2

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:29 pm

This reply is to Shane. Shane you can check out the 2003 and 2002 Liquid Force kites to see the Panel lay outs. Neither LF kite has single large body panels, and the Tension for 2003 has broken the panels up even more. The Cautions and the LF Tensions both use Polyester canopies for the least amount of stretch. Check one out; I'm sure you will be very impressed with all of the reinforcements that arguably make the kites the best constructed on the market.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:55 pm

On 2003-01-20 13:58, pitlisa wrote:
to Dwight:
can you tell us anything about that last statement?
I'm not sure which statement you're asking about. The Toro2 will be the wave riders choice from North. More depower built into that one. The Rhino2 is built for jumping.

My Rhino2 does not flap at all during normal riding. I can MAKE it flap by sine flying real hard when the wind stops. I can also MAKE it flap using too much depower riding in light wind. None of which you should be doing. You can make other brands flap doing this too.

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:21 pm

On 2003-01-20 10:32, shunter wrote:
Are the LF tensions and Cautions still using a large single piece canopy which on last years kites streched and caused TE flutter. Or have they put more span wise pannels in.

Havent seen any of the 03 kites yet just the last years apexes and the flaming flutting cautions.

When you all say construction is way better than other kites? what do you mean
Glued and taped seams?
Tripple stich?
Good strut to Le reinforcement?
Flat non canopy wear seams?
Valve steam reinforcements and tucked in behind LE?

Shane

(still searching)
I addition to the bullet proof attachment of the struts to the LE, the TE of the struts are tucked into an additional piece at the end of the strut housing. Kind of hard to describe, but it makes for a nice clean flow over the rear of the struts, and protects the TE of the struts as well. There is no Velcro flap hanging outside of the strut (exposed to the wind on the TE) like what you would usually would see there.
Stitching and flat seams all look great to me, and the Dacron bladder housings seem very stiff and durable. The Apexx and the Tension do not have one piece canopies, and I have never seen or heard any of my friend's Apexx kites fluttering in flight. The new Tension just seems beefy when you pump it up, but it doesn't seem to weigh any more than last year's Apexx, which was on par with the weight of other kites as far as I can tell. Like I mentioned before I have seen last year's Apexx take quite a few poundings in the surf with no damage, and our riding area is covered with rocks on the shore. The Tension is even better constructed than the Apexx, so it should be a solid kite for sure. Take care.

Gene

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:35 pm

Neither. Try them all and choose the one you like the best.

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:03 pm

Hi all,

Another epic day passes in tarifa, not so busy on the water today with maxed 12m wind onshore with big swell once again. Great to hear some positive feedback on the Cautions, they are going down very well with everyone who has tried them out here and I am getting more and more into the style the more I use them. I ride Skoops so it is a completely different style of kite of course but is very well suited to the waves, chop and strong winds out here at the moment. Today I flew the 12m all day on 28m lines + 5m leaders on a 60cm S2 bar and I have to say they do get high and float better than I thought at first, its just a case of me getting the technique dialled, coming from Skoops its more board speed thats needed to boost real high as with most kites and the wind today allowed for flying off da lip on my better tack. With the skoop well powered you can pretty much stall your speed, skoop the zone and up you go and this I like... personal choice as ever.

The upper wind range of the Caution proved itself today as many 12m kites left the water as the wind picked up as well as the swell. Tarifa is going off big time! The kite always feels very solid and predictable in the air no matter what is thrown at it. My friend is learning on one, and fair play too in these conditions, and I have seen the 10m dropped amidst big sets often and taking the beating as well as re-launching very well. The construction is super tuff and does what it says on the tin. The struts are especially interesting as there is no seam other than what is attached to the canopy.

Adam... yes, there is much testing going down but if I told you what I thought of all the kit at the moment I'd have to shoot you... I'd be shot anyway... best get Kitesurf mag and read Jeremy's write ups. Needles to say there is a lot of nice toys around for 2003 and some not so nice :wink: Anyway its all horses for courses, there's only three of us testing and I'm sure we all look for different things from our kit to suit our own styles so we try to look for the good in whatever we are riding !

Dwight... sorry dude but the R2 sounds like a tiger moth! Safety wise its good though 'cos when its busy on the water you can hear it coming :smile:

L8r,
Sean.

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:54 pm

Oh yes,

Fat bloke adam... if you and da boyz are out here on the 4th feb we will still be here and would be good to meet for sure. We have an apartamento, second complex from the football ground right on kite beach so as long as its not levante thats where we will be riding. Look for the Chevy, there's not many! On the beach the majority of test kit will have gone back to blighty but I'll be hanging on to the Skoop 2 14.5 over my dead body for sure so look for that and the Caution flames and you will find us. We have Wavetray and Tarifa Nomad customs to try and Dave be praised there is even a pre-production custom Litewave 136 on the way glassed by the man himself.. can't wait for that one!.. and yes, it is very windy out here!

pitlisa
Frequent Poster

Postby pitlisa » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:57 am

to Dwight:

what about the upwind performance, does it really pull a lot downwind.
I ask this because in light wind I prefer good upwind performance than high jumping.

Thanks !

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:44 pm

On 2003-01-21 11:57, pitlisa wrote:
to Dwight:

what about the upwind performance, does it really pull a lot downwind.
I ask this because in light wind I prefer good upwind performance than high jumping.

Thanks !
I think it goes upwind great. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be nuts. Even low aspect kites go upwind great today. You would have to fly an old 2000 or 2001 low apsect kite to find something that stinks upwind.

The difference between a ateadier pulling high apsect kite (North) and a racy flat high aspect kite is the way they pull you upwind. The North will lead you upwind while staying in the same general area of the window, out front. You can edge hard during a gust and the kite stays in the same general area of the window, making the pull, and ride, steady and smooth. This style kite overflys less at zeinth too. A racy kite will jump forward from its normal crusing spot in the window if you edge extra hard. This is why those kites don't have the same steady smooth pulling ride of a North or similar kite. Riders who are used to seeing their racy kites jump all around in the window, tend to complain when they try a steadier pulling kite that is less nervous in the window. Especially true for light weights or newer kiters not comfortable with their ability to ride through a gust.

My recommendation for light wind kites:
150 lbs and up......the 20m Rhino2.
under 150....the Toro2 16m.
Something in between....Toro2 18m.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2003-01-21 13:05 ]</font>

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:48 pm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2003-01-21 12:49 ]</font>