Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite brands used in KPWT & PKRA competitions 2002

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:07 am

On 2003-01-19 23:28, Anonymous wrote:
Good post Peter - must have taken a fair bit of work.

Is it possible to create similar graphs, but as well as NUMBER of kites in use, would it be possible to give weight to the success/ranking of different brands?

eg Mark Shinn uses Naish, he's ranked number 1, so his choice of kite gets eg 100 points, Robby Naish uses Naish but is ranked 30, so Naish only gets 70 points etc etc.
Not really - it can be done very very fast, when you are used to do it.
And it would be relatively easy to make a ranked list too - but as said before - I think it is wrong.

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sylt Rider » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:01 pm

Peter put the information about the number of kiters in each brands, (nice job!) so we saw that some brands have more kiters other brans have less kiters. If we start putting a success rate we will get wrong numbers as there will be, as an example 23 Naish Riders in the Ranking but only 3 F-one Rider so the ranking we will get will have a big error.

Some brands have riders which are locals, some don't. We have seen Mark Shinn and others doing quite well 2002 and they are locals. So if we put a ranking we won't get a good information because we will be comparing locals with none locals, and besides that, guys and girls wich attended many or alle events with guys and girls which attendet fewer events.

Last not least, if a pro is choosing a kite this doesen't mean very much for us non pros. First because he chooses the kite from the company he gets money or support. If he leaves this company he will change his kite. Second because most of them are need a Kite for conditions 90% of us non pros will never use this kite in. So all that kind of information would be almost worthless.

So what's the deal? For me it was interesting to know which brands have pros as they have kiters with the best level possibel working for them, giving their opinion, testing, etc.

Greetings, Sylt Rider

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:52 pm

of course this doesn't take into account that it costs around $100k to pay for a pro rider for a year for one of the large tours, more for both.

some manufacturers don't see that pro riders provide as good value for money as offering better service and cheaper kites.

i know where i put my money and its not on keeping some air monkey in beer and air miles.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:24 pm

Hi Peter,

great stats.
Thx for that.
Looks very nice and is very interesting.

I will keep these stats in the new info forum coming soon with the update.
This way we can have a look at what has been changed in the 2003 season.

Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:34 pm

100,000???????????? What pessos? Most the riders outside the top 15 are lucky if they cover the costs on getting to the 5 major events last year but the cost of getting to and competing in the events is far less than 100,000. Try less than 20,000.USD. Most riders there get product to sell and a travel budget. Man I gotta get me one of those 100,000 budgets this year. Im gonna do the tour. I get sponsorship money for it all but I promise you its an awful lot less than 100,000. I doubt the top riders are getting that but I will definitly ask Mark next time I see him. I know what most those guys make and its not that much. Last year the guy from Antigua who cane 12th and won best trick in MArgarita and the guys from the DR were paying their own way and had to give back their gear when they were done. They didn't make any money at all. It cost them. So don't even dream of 100,000 contracts like the old days of windsurfing. Maybee a very few well promoted riders with lots of sponsors but alot of the guys there pay their own way and as for the girls.....they all pay their own way.
Gotta get me that contract.
Aloha Royce.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:40 pm

This just shows me what companies are giving kites away to riders.

Thanks

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:22 am

On 2003-01-20 23:40, Anonymous wrote:
This just shows me what companies are giving kites away to riders.

Thanks
Sheesh.
With an attitude like that I bet they won't be giving you anything huh? Did you get coal again for christmas? I liked it,

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:56 am

i didnt say they 'got' 100,000k US.
i said that was what it cost.

expenses including hotels, accom, taxis, flights, xs baggage, real wages, sending out photographers to cover them, tech support, someone to organise half of your life while on the road.

yeh 100,000k US all in seems about right for a top level rider to tour the world for a year, its not shinny you want to ask its robby.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:14 pm

Dream on dude.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:17 pm

All the riders share taxis, flights are company sky miles, there is no Tech support or company paid photogs, the girlfriend organises your life while you are away. I asked Robbie and he pays the top 4 guys well. Everyone else is gear and Travel. No where near 100,000 dude.

Return to “Kitesurfing”