Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cuba again

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:28 pm

Anonymous: are you lecdaniel?

titix obviously has much more experience in Cuba than me. I can only talk about Cayo Guillermo: the conditions for kiting are great, but there are only "all inclusive" resorts. No "local kiters": I doubt that there are any "local kiters" in Cuba anywhere.

I went there because I have 2 small children: for a single traveller, I think Varadero would be more interesting. If you are able to travel around over a period of time, it would be worth visiting the Cayos for kitesurfing.

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:07 pm

I dont understand french !
somebody help with the traslation.
tks
fabio

titix
Medium Poster

Postby titix » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:58 pm

I am Titix. Actually the last French message was not anonymous' or lecdaniel's but mine.
As previously said, most cayos in Cuba are the same. Blue, clear water but no local life. It was only made for tourism. Varadero (not a cayo but a peninsula) has some kind of local life especially at the very beginning and you can find some "particular" private places to rent for around 20 dollars you must ask around. but nothing compared to Playas del este or Cienfuegos or Holguin where you can immerse yourself in cuban life
Varadero (and the cayos in general)is just more comfortable and may offer a better range of wind directions and conditions.

fabinhoj
Frequent Poster

Postby fabinhoj » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:44 pm

Hi Titix,

I am from brazil and loocking for wind in feb/march.
Cuba can be a option for me, as all other windy places among the caribean.
I am loocking for opinions about places to go kite on the end of feb (carnaval holidays here)and I just have 10 days, so back pack is out off question.
loocking for some night life as well, and it can not be very expensive, You know I live in the 3rd world .
Hows the wind in march in cuba?
cheers
fabio
brasil

fabinhoj
Frequent Poster

Postby fabinhoj » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:45 pm

And if you have another sugestions in the caribean , let me know
cheers

titix
Medium Poster

Postby titix » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:29 pm

Quite expensive everywhere. How much do you want to spend?

lecdaniel
Rare Poster
Gear: Epic

Postby lecdaniel » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:48 am

Hi Titix. HAve you ever been to Puerto Rico.Si oui, is it possible to be easily a backpacker there???

titix
Medium Poster

Postby titix » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:14 am

I stayed there for one year and spent vacations after. Puerto rico has lots of spots and kitesurfing is getting very popular especially in San Juan but backpacking is not recommended. Not so safe and few good public transportation from one spot to another. You definetely have to rent a car OR find o hotel right ON THE BEACH in SAn Juan (ocean park, condado beach).

fabinhoj
Frequent Poster

Postby fabinhoj » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:11 pm

I change my mind after I have seen the ticket price, round trip sao paulo -havana usd 700, ouch !!! I can kite for a month in brazil in a 5 stars hotel, I will think about it more serius now.
let you know
tks
FAbio

Return to “Kitesurfing”