Loooong hangtime..!

Forum for kitesurfers
mosquito
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mosquito » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:23 pm

Attention: this is dangerous stuff! only for experienced snowkiters..

http://www.flysurf.com/videos/philou0103.rm

Pieter,

Dux
Rare Poster

Postby Dux » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:52 pm

...wow?

nutz...I would shit a brick.

Philou
Medium Poster

Postby Philou » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:04 pm

As everybody said during this event, this is not for expert people, it's for crazy people !!!

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:24 pm

It's great.

This is the Frenzy kite?.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:13 pm

Makes my balls shiver.

Pretty Cool!

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:28 pm

What? No spins? No loops? No skis off behind the back handle pass? No triple forward? No nak-nak?

Ho-hum...:smile:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:50 pm

Interesting stunt and he pulled it off. I suspect that there will be more attempts and good luck to them. Something to think about, if:

All or part of the kite stalls and collapses,
One or more flight lines break,
One or more leader lines break,
The kite tears from extended loading with the full rider's weight,
Groups of bridle lines break or tear free from the kite,
The kite unhooks,
The spreader bar breaks,
The control bar breaks,
The harness line breaks,
The harness breaks or shifts excessively,
The wind shifts propelling the flier in a bad direction, off a cliff or into a rock face, or merely stalls and wads the kite up? Unstable wind, lift and sink are very common in alpine areas.

The flier will fall and hit hard likely resulting in serious injury or worse. Guys will try new things regardless. Just a bit more to think about before deciding to put it all on the line. People doing this are using equipment for something it was never designed or intended to be used for and hoping that luck (and skill?) will carry the day.

Doing this with paragliders is common place and relatively safely enjoyed by thousands worldwide. If interested in trying something like this checkout a tandem parapante in the mountains with an instructor. It is interesting footage and fortunately, no one was injured. Next time, who knows?

Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-01-21 19:45 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:30 pm

RickI,

Why did you stop at 11 "What If's..."?

Certainly there are thousands more "What If's..." we could add to your list and delineate.

Perhaps you could adhere to facts that have occured, rather than things that might.

I could certainly make and arguement that one should not leave their home because they might get 'run over' by a car but this is bullshit, and mostly on a large scale, non-productive.

What on this earth do you know about how the equipment was set up for this stunt? Perhaps you knowed about it? Plese tell if possible...

This is not a slam, we juste wonder how you know so much about every aspect of kiteing and saftey. You seem very knowlegeable...

Danke.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:28 pm

Nothing has ever broken on you while kiteboarding? I need to learn your secrets for avoiding that as I have failed miserably to this point.

I have had seven of the eleven events happen to me while kiteboarding. Several more than once including at least a dozen broken flight lines in over four years. One serious FACT is that kite gear breaks almost routinely under normal loading in my experience and that of others. On the water it amounts to some inconvenience in most cases. Twenty meters or more over land it may result in slamming in very hard and a hospital visit if you are fortunate.

Paragliders are designed for this activity and hold up to the stresses routinely with rare failures. I have heard of cases of the other failures having happened to other kiteboarders including one tow-up kiteboarder accident described under:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1997&forum=1

People will continue to do things like this regardless of what I have to say here or yourself for that matter. More information is generally better than less when trying new, potentially dangerous things or perhaps you believe "what you don't know can't hurt you?"

As to knowing everything, far from it. I prove that to myself every month by learning new things about kiteboarding, often the hard way. That fact that we talk about what we learn, suspect and wonder about moves us all ahead.

Rick Iossi

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:38 pm

hey Danke,
Rick I is good to go !!
we need him to remind us what we risk, I'm am certain my mother would say,
" now fokiten you listen to that man he makes good sense, and you know how stupid you get when the wind blows!!!

Thanks rick your input is always needed by us shit for brains kite-freaks.
Keep it up!

fokiten

Return to “Kitesurfing”