Forum for kitesurfers
balaton
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby balaton » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:54 pm

Hello,
I am travelling to Australia in February. Will travel from Melbourne to up north all the way to Cairns. Do you have any infos on (cheapest) car hire, best surfing and kiting locations and possible competitions between the 13th of February until the 22nd of March?
Cheers, Peter

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:12 pm

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:58 am

yo! hope to see you when get here! i`m all the way up in cairns and the wind is very disapionting this time of year up here. If you wanna go kiting i suggest you stay south of brisbane for the most of your stay. Theyre gettting good wind all the time down there this time of year....

Oh yeah, most car hire places are similar but might wanna check out europcar...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cyclone on 2003-01-20 02:00 ]</font>

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:03 am

Unfortunately this time of year in North Queensland we have very little wind (Usually around 5 to 15 knots)and deadly marine jellyfish inhabit our local waters. These are life threatening and are very common. Only the local crew who need "their wind fix" venture out in the light winds but do take precautionary measures wearing full bodied suits, although, this does not gaurentee your safety. However, April thru October, the continual trade winds vary between 15 to 30 knots and we have some great locations (and no jellyfish in the water this time of year!!)

ATM
Rare Poster

Postby ATM » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:10 am

Hey guys, tough luck to hear about the lack of wind and the jellyfish... That sucks. But you'll soon be scoring, not too long to wait.

A couple of questions tho, where do all of the jellyfish go? Where is the best place to set your self up in the Winter months when the trade winds kick in up there, and what are the type of conditions that you generally get in your season?

I am considering coming up for a while when our season goes pear shaped, because I know that i will have serious withdrawels if I don't get a fix!

Any way thanks, Goodwinds when they come, ATM
20 - 25 forcast for me locall tonight!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:02 pm

ATM Where boutz in OZ to you live?

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:16 pm

Balaton, keep in touch. I am currently at a computer in Bangkok airport as I have a few hours to wait for my transfer flight onto Melbourne. I'll be there from tomorrow to Feb 18th.

Nick

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:34 pm

There is some good kiting on the central coast about 1 hour nth of sydney,check with the friendly locals or the boys at ESS board store to find the best spotts ..enjoy your trip to OZ. steve,,.

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:30 am

Hey ATM

Have a look a traqua.com for more info on Nth Queensland. Our local haunt is Cairns and it's local beaches. Four Mile Beach (Named for the obvious) is also a great spot. We also head out to the local sand cays on the Great Barrier Reef.

As for the jellyfish the apparently have a very short life cycle and during the winter months head back up the estauries and breed.
Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”