Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

slingshot B series or blade

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:30 pm

Anyone flown the B-5 or above? How do they compare to Blades? for land/snow/water? Thinking of purchasing either a 4.9 blade or b-5 for land and occasional high wind days on the water and training others. Also might move to snowy area. thanx
J

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:52 pm

Go with the blade. 4-line foils with brakes work better for use on land where the friction is low and you need less power. The blade is a powerful 4 line foil that can be rigged to fly 2 line (or better yet 3 line with a good saftey and reverse launch).

The slingshot B-series kites do not come with a brake bridle so you can only fly them 2-line.

Additionaly I believe that the build quality of blades is much higher than the slingshot foils. The kites I have flown and am basing my opinion on are the b3, b4, b5 and the blade 6.4

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:57 pm

What's the windrange for say a 5m or 6.4 foil with a land board on grass. I weigh 87kilos/190 lbs.? I was thinking that a two line foil would be nice actually since I don't drop my kite very often. and it would simplify things. I only use bars now since I kite on water mostly.
thanks,
J

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:42 pm

The Slingshot B5 pulls pretty hard, but I agree with the earlier post that since its two line, it likes smoother winds. But depends on your style. Some like the two lines to get grunt in the window while they're riding and can't stand 4 line foils. Personally, I can't stand ANY 2 line kite. I think they are worthless...but that's just my opinion. We ride fronts, not thermals, and its gusty. 2 line doesn't work around here.

In terms of wind range for a 180lb dude on the water with a Jarvis, I'd say you gotta go in 25mph or more. One guy tried the B5 on water with a Jarvis in late August and it was blowing around 25 and he could barely do anything at 205lbs. Everyone else was on 8-12m inflatos and foils.

Then he dumped my kite and didn't bother to clean the sand out! arrggg....

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:03 pm

hey thanks chicago! Yeah, we have steady winds here. I am looking for a high wind (+25) for water and a low/med wind land kite. sorry to bother you, but what would be the range on land? 8knots+? thanks for your help,
J

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:22 pm

Are you riding on grass, weeds, snow, ice, packed snow, deep powder, sand...etc and with what; skis, snowboard, mountainboard, etc etc etc

The B5 can pull you if you work it in 8kts or more on smooth ground without much resistance. On ice, it would be pretty good I would think. Same with packed snow. In powder forget it. On sand that's loose, probably not. On packed sand like in Florida with 8+ kts you should be okay on a mountainboard, but you won't be jumping or anything... I would look for a 7-8m for 8kts. Keep in mind you can whip the kite around to generate apparent wind to get going so the smaller sizes should work on slicker surfaces.

(keep in mind I was out last sunday on the ice with my 15m foil! LOL - you may not want advice from me 'cuz I'm craaaaazy)

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Return to “Snow / Land”