murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Fri May 03, 2002 12:46 pm

well .. .
i think they didn't sell enough.
probably the booster did break their neck ?
-> a well promoted kite (every german kitemag had really big ads) that didn't sell ..
i dunno.

some time ago, they switched from selling via shops to direct-factory-shop (for mosquito and stamos) and made them a lot cheaper.

windprayer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I'm kiting on lakes in switzerland
Favorite Beaches: still on my search....
Style: waves
Gear: Takoon Furia LTD 7, 9, 13 and Soul 5

Postby windprayer » Fri May 03, 2002 1:36 pm

This company has also put huch money in product development. It's easy to copy a kite and pay for the license. But Windtools always had there owne solutions. It's the hard way to go but brings a lot for the future of a sport.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri May 03, 2002 2:05 pm

well .. they had the mosquito and the knowledge that lead them there - if you check a mosquito, then the pro and then the pro KS you'll see...
i think the stamos was not too hard to develop for it is just a low power version :wink:

but the booster had to be a hard one - no one tried this before and some ideas were quite good...

but if you check the release dates ....

these guys were even worser than naish!
from the moment iv'e heard of the booster, it took ages until they announced a release date and from the release date it took ages again, till the boosters were really availlable. . .

i think this was, too, one of the facts that this kite didn't sell too well.

i suppose that the booster 8.6 is a cool kite.

but, on the other hand, nearly all kites in this size are great (naish ar5 & arx & x2, north rhino, takoon, slinger, etc etc)

windprayer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I'm kiting on lakes in switzerland
Favorite Beaches: still on my search....
Style: waves
Gear: Takoon Furia LTD 7, 9, 13 and Soul 5

Postby windprayer » Fri May 03, 2002 3:21 pm

I'm wondering, if the kites in the near future look as they do today with marginal changes or is the next step of kites something compleatly different? Interesting questions, isn't it?

We will see...

Postby Guest » Fri May 03, 2002 3:31 pm

I got a Booster 12m. I have been riding it 3 times now. The kite itself is excellent as soon as you are on the board and planing. Very fast, reacts very quickly, good depower.

But it does not work very well in lower winds like 2-3 Bft. I have seen many 11.8 Airblast in the air, while I was only unsuccessfully trying to restart my Booster. In winds of 3-4 Bft it is absolutly no problem to restart it, it is easier to restart than the ARX.

Conclusion:
I do like the Booster (maybe some more rides and I fall in love with it), but if I would have to decide now, I would rather spend a little more and get an Airblast 11.8 or an X2 16m. I heard that the Airblasts will have new materials in a few weeks. They say, these will be near as strong materials as those of the X2.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri May 03, 2002 4:03 pm

yeh - the problem of the booster 12m is, that you'll need a bigger kite. the low-wind performance is too bad. but a kite like a 15.5 naish or 11.8 wipika'd make no sense - the windranges are too close.
but a 16.4 airblast or 20+m naish is expensive and definately a no-fun-kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”