Forum for kitesurfers
KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

canopy strength

Postby KiteKarl » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:02 am

It seems like when all kites get old and get the inevitable canopy tear it does so on either side of the center strut. Knowing this, why don't manufacturers put a heavier guage material on the canopy on both sides of the center strut? Now you can say "planned obsolescence", but I would gladly buy a reinforced canopy kite and pay more as well as deal with the extra weight. One or two seasons for a kite is not alot of value at these prices.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 pm

i've got 3 words for you...

'canopy framing technology'

on all our 07 kites..

runs from the trailing edge up the strut and spreads out again behind the LE. every canopy section has it.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Where abouts near the center strut? Is it in the draft area dear the middle? I've been lucky personally in that over built kites like the Slingshots and Norths aren't needed.

A while back a topic on a windsurfing forum was discussing sail durability. The one thing that never gets mentionsed is rider weight. In the same way booms and masts can be broken down by a heavy sailor who loads up the rig more, the sail also gets loaded more leading to an earlier failure I think

So could kites also follow this trend?

For example I'd use a 12 xbow up to about 22-24 knots and change down.

But a 200lb guy would maybe carry on until 30 knots.

So two different riders and very different loads on the kite.

For me I've always been happy with lightly built gear, but obviously this isn't for everyone.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:15 pm

ScottM wrote:Where abouts near the center strut? Is it in the draft area dear the middle? I've been lucky personally in that over built kites like the Slingshots and Norths aren't needed.

A while back a topic on a windsurfing forum was discussing sail durability. The one thing that never gets mentionsed is rider weight. In the same way booms and masts can be broken down by a heavy sailor who loads up the rig more, the sail also gets loaded more leading to an earlier failure I think

So could kites also follow this trend?

For example I'd use a 12 xbow up to about 22-24 knots and change down.

But a 200lb guy would maybe carry on until 30 knots.

So two different riders and very different loads on the kite.

For me I've always been happy with lightly built gear, but obviously this isn't for everyone.
Excellent post!

Something to think about when buying used kites...how much did the previous user weigh...

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:48 pm

Wipika Matrixes 06 have that, from LE.... can take a pict for later...
That Best canopy will last too...
Paul Berube
http://www.PBKiteboarding.com

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:12 am

north? over built? north has one of the crappest quality kites of all the brands!!

dewey
Frequent Poster

Re: canopy strength

Postby dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:06 pm

KiteKarl wrote:It seems like when all kites get old and get the inevitable canopy tear it does so on either side of the center strut. Knowing this, why don't manufacturers put a heavier guage material on the canopy on both sides of the center strut? Now you can say "planned obsolescence", but I would gladly buy a reinforced canopy kite and pay more as well as deal with the extra weight. One or two seasons for a kite is not alot of value at these prices.
Carl,

Where have you been? Paul and I were out at Sherman with only 2 others all afternoon lit. Paul was asking what happened to you. Do you have any kites left? I know it's been a bad year for you. I still have my kites from last year that you could borrow if you need a kite. Let me know.

Dewey

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 pm

I just think is is something that often is overlooked. But you can imagine the loading on the front pulley's when some 250lb guy boosts big apposed to a 150lb guy, not to mention he's proabaly doing it in far more wind!

but also things to think about.

Is your kite used in a sunny location sitting out flapping in the wind for ages? The sun is a killer and I'm sure does alot of damage. Especially white material, must be a wave length thing.

So for me I want a well built kite, but too much additional reinforcing would be wasted on me. I've done the X-ply thing on windsuf sails and generally didn't like it so much. Much prefer my monofilm, even if it might be a bit more fragile!

kitezilla wrote:
Excellent post!

Something to think about when buying used kites...how much did the previous user weigh...

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:46 pm

scott the CFT runs along the TE then down the side of the strut and the opens out along the back of the LE. it's between the strut and canopy along the entire length of the strut.

principle is that it's a tougher cloth, cut on the curve with no quick transitions so it allows impact stress/loading to travel along it and through the entire kite. rather than hitting the first edge or corner and tearing and lifting off a strut.

it's just where it needs to be, where material chnages and component weight is located.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Makes sense SQ, just wondered where Kitekarl saw the tearing? Is it caused by rubbing on the strut?

I put fair mileage on my stuff, just wondering where I should be looking to spot potential trouble?
sq225917 wrote:scott the CFT runs along the TE then down the side of the strut and the opens out along the back of the LE. it's between the strut and canopy along the entire length of the strut.

principle is that it's a tougher cloth, cut on the curve with no quick transitions so it allows impact stress/loading to travel along it and through the entire kite. rather than hitting the first edge or corner and tearing and lifting off a strut.

it's just where it needs to be, where material chnages and component weight is located.

Return to “Kitesurfing”