Review: Ozone Instinct

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Review: Ozone Instinct

Postby mark van haze » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:18 am

I had a short session on panchitos 11m ozone instinct. Conditions were poniente with about 15 knots, choppy water. I weigh 72kg, my board is a spleene RIP128.
The first thing you notice is the kite feels very solid in the air. Every pull on the bar translates very directly to the kite and the bar feels as if it was guided on "rails". Anyone who flew a waroo or sonic will be able to relate when I say the bar feels a bit loose. The instinct though feels as if it was a pulley bar without the bar pressure of a pulley bar.
The kites turning speed is acceptable, a tick faster than the 11m sonic (im comparing the sonic when its connected to the front rearline connection points - faster mode). It loops nicely (no bow sliding) but has a very hard and raw pull as it goes through the loop. A C-kite rider will feel right at home.
Jumping is nice, hangtime is very good - one of the best in the bowkites-hybrid kites area.
You can release the bar and the kite will not drop straight out of the sky so easy bar spinning on the go and changing hand while carrying the board. You can even ride with the bar at the stopper, albeit a little under powered.
Relaunch is bow or flysurfer foil like, simple and easy by pulling one steering line, no swimming necessary.
I cant say much about the top end but I have been seeing the instinct a lot on the water with 20-25 knots so I imagine its top end would be around there, similar to the 11m sonic.
Overall, it seems to be a bowkite with some grunt, not unlike a C-kite. Most bows work on apparent wind (you need to sine it a lot to get going) but the instinct pulls early on.
Due to its spanline and rigid feel in the air, I can only guess that in gusty winds, the kite will not invert or do weird things but I dont think its going to be a nice sight when the instinct flips over, the multitude of lines will make it a nicely wrapped package.
Construction is rock solid, no complaints here.
Overall I think the best way to describe the instinct is, its like driving a mercedes. Comfortable, solid, powerful when you want it but not an exciting "pedal to the metal" sportscar.
Thanks panchi for the testride!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby panchito » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:54 am

Hi.

So I give you my kite for a demo and you don´t said it is hands down the best kite ever ?? ha ha

I´ve been kiting with the 7 on nuclear winds 20-40 knots gusty like hell at Valdevaqueros and whatever I made / tried and x crashes I was simply not able to invert the kite....

Beside of this I agree on what you said.... and I love my mercedes ......I mean my kite. :D

Saludos

twannie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mui ne ,Vietnam. Cadzand bad,Netherlands
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone,Dakine,Axis
Brand Affiliation: Ozone,Axis,Dakine

Postby twannie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:08 am

heheh!

Panchito come to Vietnam this year and ride with us!

:)

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:19 am

What I like is the "C kite feel"

Just what I wanted, C kite feel with Bow like depower.

I tried to crash mine on to its LE the other day to practice a relaunch. Gave up as it just would not stay in the water, it was a good wind day though.

I've flown a few Bows, tested the 9m Instinct, loved it that much bought the 11m.

Just whish you could use the same bar on the 7m, as this would save a few £££ on kit.

Nice kite, worth a test to see if you like it.

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Tried the 9m aswell. Liked it, but really the kite doesnt have a c-kite feel, in my opionen Its a bit different I think. A bit laggish, I agree with Mark van Hazes desciption. Its not an agresive kite as for example the switchblade.

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm

May be i shouls say, felt at home on it straight away, from C kites. Feels more C like than all other Bows I tried.

Worth a look at if your fancy this type of kite.

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:19 pm

obviously I dont know about the 9m - ive only had the 11m to test. Maybe the 9m feels different.
Panchito: yeah ok, its the best kite i E V E R rode and will ride for the rest of my life ;)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Review: Ozone Instinct

Postby tomtom » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:34 pm

Very nice review as always - mark.

So when instinct is mercedes - which kite is porsche?

I rode sonic 8,11,14 and only other bow i try is switchblade 16 and it feel like heavy truck vs my sonic 14.

SuK
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka river mouth, NZ
One Tree Point, NZ
Style: Free
Gear: Cabrinha - a bit of everything from them... oh and a PLK buggy.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha Asia - rider/tester
Decay Kiteboards - owner

Postby SuK » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:36 pm

That is a great review Mark and I think you've put down most of my thoughts. I can add to that a comment about the top end of the 11m too though...

I weigh 65kg and have been out on the 11m Instinct in 30knots plus. It was onshore messy wave conditions, with some flats in the shallows. There were 90kg guys out on 9m Bows and an 80kg guy and 70kg girl out on older 4m kites.

I was on my Decay Katana 130 and only had the kite fully depowered at launch and landing. I even pulled off some unhooked raileys and underloop transitions, between trying to ride the messy stuff... So all in all it's a very versatile and user-friendly kite!

Su Kay
http://www.suk.co.nz
http://www.decaykiteboards.co.nz

bern dogg
Medium Poster

Postby bern dogg » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:02 am

my review here:
I weigh 70kg and rides jaime 132X43.
I was on the 13 instinct from 10kts to 20kts easy.
only problem I do not like about the kite is that the forward lines + 5th line doesnt spin back though the spinning swivel exist.

Return to “Reviews”