kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Pimp your pump for Contra 17

Postby kruzlifix » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:53 am

In adition to always treating my pump very carefully I finally found a good purpose for the 3rd hose fitting which comes with the Cabrinha stock pump (I never understood its purpose).
until all tubes are fully inflated I am using the large diameter nozzle and double stroke mode. it really is only about half the resistance compared to the normal inflation technique. than I quickly remove the nozzle, screw in the large valve and finish the rest using the screw on hose end. for the last high pressure pumping I can switch my pump to downstroke only mode (I bought this pump last year at walmart and it is basically the same pump as cab etc, except it has a small valve on top which can be opened to do only downstroke.... I use this top part on the normal cabrinha pump :bye:
andreas
Attachments
hosea.jpg
plastic tube
hosea.jpg (126.9 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
hoseb.jpg
large bore inflation
hoseb.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
hosec.jpg
2 gear pump top
hosec.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 5287 times

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:01 am

My Scoprega BST12 electric pump is supposed to use a turbine to inflate the kite quickly, then at higher pressure it switches to a piston compressor.
It does this with the Slingshot kites, but with the Cabrinha non-return valve, it starts on the piston compressor due to the back pressure caused by the valve, which backs up what you say.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:11 am

Nice one Andreas.
A good tip for easyer inflation.
nico

Steve Martin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach and Blue Lagoon Marina on Lake St. Clair around Detroit, Michigan
Gear: Cabrinha: Contra 14m and Omega 9m
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Steve Martin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm

What did you make the clear plastic out of? Does it fit snug with no or minimal air leaks? I'd like to do this also for my Cabrinha pump and retrofit on my electric pump. I'm manually holding the electric pump now and I'd like to just set it up and then walk away and setup my lines.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pimp your pump for Contra 17

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm

kruzlifix wrote:for the last high pressure pumping I can switch my pump to downstroke only mode (I bought this pump last year at walmart and it is basically the same pump as cab etc, except it has a small valve on top which can be opened to do only downstroke.... I use this top part on the normal cabrinha pump :bye:
andreas
The new Cab pump has this valve...make the last bit so much easier!!

:thumb:

headwound
Medium Poster

save ya pumping for ya girls

Postby headwound » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:34 am

real men bring there converted dive tanks to the beach.
Attachments
air tank1.jpg
can pump up about 10 16m kites with 3000 pounds of psi in tank.
air tank1.jpg (163.68 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:03 am

Steve Martin wrote:What did you make the clear plastic out of? Does it fit snug with no or minimal air leaks? I'd like to do this also for my Cabrinha pump and retrofit on my electric pump. I'm manually holding the electric pump now and I'd like to just set it up and then walk away and setup my lines.
hi steve
it is just a piece of plastic PU tubing which fits snuggly around the hose part and you can easily insert it into the large diameter threads of the front tube. even if it is not airtight you can pump the kite up almost to the end pressure....
headwound wrote:real men bring there converted dive tanks to the beach.
yes. this is great, I was using it in bonaire, but the problem is .... traveling with airplane these days.... the security regulations are so tight that you cannot take your dive tank as carry on handbagage..... and you re check in weight allowance is already reached by having 2 kites and one or tow boards....
andreas
PS: wow, the new CAB pumps have the special valve on top? slowly but surely they improve! May be soon we will also get a decent leash safety system!

sperry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras, NC
VA Beach

Postby sperry » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 pm

pumps? we don't need no stinkin' pumps...

onboard air compressor. ah, life is good.

i doesn't go overseas too easily, but it sure is nice for local trips.

dakz
Medium Poster

Postby dakz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:37 pm

sperry wrote: onboard air compressor. ah, life is good.

i doesn't go overseas too easily, but it sure is nice for local trips.
Hey could you give us some details on the compressor? Maybe even some pictures?
Does it work with 12v? What`s the max pressure (bars) it can handle?

sperry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras, NC
VA Beach

Postby sperry » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:26 am

The compressor currently installed is designed to be fitted onto vehicles to inflate air shocks. It is a 12v system and wires directly to the vehicles electrical system. I have equipped the system with a 2.5 gal air tank. The current compressor is a light-duty compressor that is getting removed within the next day or so.

I have a higher capacity compressor to replace it. The original is only rated at 20% duty cycle at, I think, 50psi working pressure. This is not very good for inflating tires. It is enough for inflating kites, but that is not all I use it for.

I have a replacement (pictured below) that I will be installing which is 100% duty cycle at 100psi. This should be enough to handle reinflating my tires as well as my kites - and anyone else's on the beach.

Here is the new compressor...

Here are some shots of the install under the truck.

You can see a pressure valve (two wires going in) that automatically turns the compressor on when the tank drops to 90psi. It turns off when the pressure reaches 120psi and maintians that pressure. There are no manual switches in the cab of the truck to operate.

The tank is mounted just outside of the frame out of the way.

Air source at rear of truck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”