My gear can handle it ... ?

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:08 am

I recently got a new Dakine Fusion kiteboarding seat harness. An interesting label was attached to the black painted aluminum spreader bar included with the harness:

"THIS SPREADER BAR IS NOT INTENDED FOR KITESURFING."

ALUMINUM SPREADER BAR

http://www.dakine.com/frontend/catalog. ... 050-511-22

I was sufficiently intrigued by the possible explaination for this message that I gave the Dakine folks a call to ask about it. They indicated that Dakine now had purpose designed and build spreader bars for kiteboarding of STAINLESS STEEL, shown below. I hadn't heard specific stories about many spreader bar failures but wondered if this had something to do with it. Dakine indicated that yes, given the substantial loads that can occur in kiteboarding that there had been spreader bar failures or breakage during kiteboarding sessions with aluminum spreader bars.

STAINLESS STEEL SPREADER BAR

PIVOT SPREADER BAR

Stainless steel can have an ultimate or breaking strength per unit area of about 4 times greater than aluminum. Also aluminum can suffer a fatigue or cyclical failure sooner than stainless steel. Kiteboarding can introduce some dramatic short term and periodic stresses. Enough to cause metal to fail and not just aluminum either.

So what?!

Remember the recent threads about using kiteboarding gear in unusual high altitude applications and concerns about ready failures or breakage of materials? This is just one more example. Kiteboarding is definitely not as easy as it looks. Paragliding occurs in a much more demanding environment in terms of required strength of materials, pilot training and selection of appropriate equipment.

Look over your gear periodically and if you are in doubt about the strength of a component consider replacing it, soon. Stainless steel spreader bars have also broken it seems once in a while. It might be good to move up to a good stainless one if you are currently using aluminum as they should have a longer service life than aluminum, ideally.

SZ is right, swimming can suck. Stranger and potentially more damaging things can happen with sudden gear failures than just swimming too. So, checkout your stuff, it can change sometimes.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-01-26 15:19 ]</font>

stonezone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stonezone » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:31 am

yep, I broke an aluminum spreader about a month ago, and have since replaced it with stainless. swimming sucks.

SZ

doofus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone, ASP, Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: Customer.

Postby doofus » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:16 am

noticed an old stainless bar had broken through one of the hook welds and replaced it quick. it was a windsurf one

but hey i broke em windsurfing too

but i is really really heavy

i noticed that my naish kitesurf one is welded on a lot better than my old windsurfing ones

Elia
Frequent Poster

Postby Elia » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:09 am

It’s interesting that this sort of topic has not been talked about very much. I mean the idea of replacing gear that looks worn out. There seems to be a number of people on this form that are concerned (more then me) about safety yet this is the first mention or this. I know from climbing we generally replace things as soon as they show any signs of ware particularly line and webbing. It would seem to me that you would be wise to look at all of your gear, particularly your lines, for ware. Anyone who has had a line break knows how much of a problem this could be especially the line that the kite leash is attached to.

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:28 pm

YES YES YES yES.... i and many others have broken the alloy spreader bar... Took less than a weeek...Dakine warrented the claim without any questions...(maybe they already knew about its weaknesses) Its the only harness where the webbing lasted longer than the bar!

I have never broken a stainless bar...

RC-Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby RC-Kiter » Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:11 pm

I also broke a Da Kine alu-spreader after 50 hours+ of usage. Got mine replaced under warrantee.

Customer service is top notch at Da Kine and I think it's a good point that they put the warning on the spreaders now. At least you can be aware of the problem. Just switch to stainless when buying the harness and alls perfect.

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster

Postby Sylt Rider » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:03 pm

"Just switch to stainless when buying the harness and alls perfect"
Not so!

As a Windsurfer I broke two of them.
They got rusty a tiny little bit and than broke all of a sudden.
I check them out every day I go out and wash them out with clear water afterwards.
And I keep hoping it won't happen again, cause if you are flying high I's scares me for sure.

Greetings Sylt Rider

RC-Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby RC-Kiter » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:24 pm

Sylt Rider, you are right ofcourse, I sail a lot in sweet water and sometimes in salt water, so I don't have the rust problem. Pre-caution is always best!

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:05 pm

you guys obviously don't get out much if you'd use alloy safety equipment/ important link kit.

thats just dumb.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:41 pm

sq please explain, the Da Kine fusion is almost 2-3 years on the market and it has "up till now" been deliverd with the aluminium spreader, why are people dumb to use this.?

They bought a kite specific harness and trust that everything has been worked out and tested, all users seam to like the harness (including myself) you got to have a little bit of trust in a company right? Saying you are dumb because you use the alu-spreader which came with the harness is a little bit harsh.

PKV

Return to “Kitesurfing”