Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:50 pm

This year a lot of shapers have issued some very short boards (say less than 130cms) for every conditions from light to high wind.

What do you think ? Is it just hype or is it the future of kitesurfing?

Thanks for telling us your experience with these boards.

Phil

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:09 pm

spaeaking as a builder of boards, one and counting.

the shorty but wide does have something to offer, planing as early as a larger board say 150-160

and also the ability to hold huge amounts of power, haven't tested the upper limit but it felt good today.

however to get the best out of them they need large planing area, which means wide tips which means little rail profile and therefore subjectively less turning comfort.

a wide short board with narrow tips is just a little board.

my 120 x 40cm is almost square and it goes very well, but it is almost flat.

not for everyone but great for light wind and flat water.

lets see what thre big boys can do but i reckon this year a lot of people will go full custom.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:23 pm

So you ride a 120cm by 40cm.
I'm thinking of building a plywood from 122cm (popular size in plywood) for when I'm powered up. As I'm rather light (66kg) Should it be 40cm or 39cm or 38cm wide.
And what do you call almost flat: a rocker of 1cm - 2cm - 3cm ?
I will build this from plywood leftovers at virtually no cost, except for the footstraps.
All input welcome.
Eddy

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:01 am

the width is up to you entirely. at 66kg you should be ok on a shorty .

my rocker line at 10cm intervals from the middle out to the tips is 0mm omm 0mm 2mm 6mm 12mm 12mm......32mm in total.

pretty damn flat and totally flat for the centre 60cm, it's this and the extreme width that make it plane so early when riding on top, but i can crank it over to kill loads of speed.

if you are making it out of plywood only kick up the last 20cm of the board as the plywood will flex on its own to give you a normal rocker line. woodies are superb.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:46 am

On 2003-01-25 21:50, Phil wrote:
This year a lot of shapers have issued some very short boards (say less than 130cms) for every conditions from light to high wind.

What do you think ? Is it just hype or is it the future of kitesurfing?

Thanks for telling us your experience with these boards.

Phil
I asked Adrian at Underground that very question a few days ago. The release of stubby production boards from Naish made me pay a little more attention to this style of board. I knew Underground had built a lot of them for (110,115,120) Martin Vari last summer. I thought it was a joke, so I didn't pay attention to it. My mistake, this stubby thing has potential. Underground is releasing a bunch of new stubby models. Dave Tyburski has a stubby Underground called the Stuburski. I'm hearing they are real fast and hold a great edge, making for bigger jumps. I'm having a 120 x 38 built by Underground now. I guess I'll know if a few weeks what it's all about.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:00 am

I met a guy in hood river that was riding a buzz prototype 100mm, F'n small. I guess you could ride a mc donalds tray if you have enough wind , it's all good. this sports about pushing the limits, try it all and don't get hung up on gear, it all works

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:05 am

OK guys, I dream of a board quiver not much longer than 130cm. It will make my Airplane travelling much easier and cheaper because I'll be able to use a Golf bag to put the gear in, hence no charge!
But on the other hand I don't want to be borred with too high technical equipement.
If these short board are really working in any conditions and don't need Pro skills, I am very very interested....
I cannot wait to test one!!!

Have Fun and ride Safe
Phil

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:22 pm

I got a 110 x 41 short fat fella, it's laminated foam core carbon kevlar. Wakeboard shaped with a constant rocker & 4 small fins.

It is very fast and is really nice to flick about off the chop.

Looping is instant and very easy although I do have a tenancy to over-rotate on occasion, mainly because there's so little resistance as you twist your body you tend to over do it.

Jumping is good, although lack of rail length and profile are a little negative. Also landing is a bit more if an issue - you have to be very precise as there is little room for error.

On the whole I like it more each time I ride it - but it does take some getting used to and I'm not sure that I will use it for all conditions.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:26 pm

Thanks sq225917 for the rocker line.
Yes the plywood boards flex nicely up to give a bit more rocker.
So I might go for a 25mm-27mm rocker mainly in the last 20cm.

Eddy

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:58 am

Where can I buy one of these short boards?

Return to “Kitesurfing”