Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review Ocean Rodeo One 9.0 2006

Postby carkeek craig » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:23 am

Review for Ocean Rodeo One 2006 9.0

Times tested: 1
Range: 20kn to 35kn

Good: Whats the best thing about this kite? The amount of control over the kites power that you have. This baby lets you scream upwind. The ability to place it anywhere in the wind window and not be bitch slapped. Light bar pressure and amazing stability in the gusts. It must be its stiffness. This kite does not bend or distort easily, you can't fold it at all to self launch. Sanding the end strut or rotating it face down are the only ways to get it up on your own.

Bad: I'm used to bar pressure giving me input as to where the kite is and what its doing without having to look up at it. The input is much more subtle with this kite, and I had to keep my eyes on it just to be sure of what was happening. More time with the kite will take care of this.

Review: The 1st storm of the season in Seattle! Richmond beach launch, and a quick sail 1 mile upwind to Boeing creek where the winds are compressed and the waves are steep. The winds were steady for 5 or 10 seconds at the most the whole time I was out, and a bit of direction changes just to keep you on your toes. Basically, total crap that only a desperate kiter would enjoy, unless you are flying something that can depower quickly. Wind waves were knee to waist high along with knee high back wash from the seawalls along the shorline.
This 9m One made my session. I would have normally been in survival mode with my C-kite, slow and low. This One allowed me to just point and go with bar pressure so light and turning so easy that I could ride one handed and pick juicy ramps out of the confusion and rip the crap out of them. My legs were burning after 2 hours of riding like this, and my cheeks were cramping from smiling so much. I did try a few jumps, but the wind just did not want to hold steady and I couldn't find the sweet spot, yet. So I have to say its just a normal jumper for now, smooth.
Every kite line has its magic size where everything is perfect. The 9m One feels like that. Its easy, and its one sexy kite.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 71-80
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: All
Preferred Kite Size: 14.0
Most Used Kite Size: 14.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 141-150
Brand Affiliation: Representative
Similar gear used: 12m TD. 16m Waroo.