Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Review Monkeykites Griffin 15.0 2006

Postby Trant » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Review for Monkeykites Griffin 2006 15.0

Times tested: 2-5
Range: 12kn to 36kn

Good: Huge range, super stable, great lift, easy swap from c-kites, fast turning, stopper ball

Bad: Bar pressure is higher than I'm used to when bar is used in "pulley" mode. No one-pump

Review: Chris of Monkeykites was generous enough to lend me a kite for 5 days whilst I was in Sydney.

Day 1 - 12 knots, chop and then waves on the outside. Normally I'm not the best at going upwind (I'm a big guy on a small board) but today I found I was one of the few going upwind quite easily. A bit of a shock for me really. Jumps were good and floaty for the wind, and turning speed was unreal for a kite this size. Bar pressure was quite high though, so I changed the bar to not use the pulleys. The bar pressure dropped right off at this point, but I decided I preferred the pulley bar setup. It just felt better and after an hour of use I barely noticed the bar pressure anymore. It certainly wasn't high enough to stop me kiting at any stage.

Day 4- 25 knots gusting to 36 (measured on the beach) I wasn't going to put the kite up in these conditions but decided to give it a go after talking to a couple of mates who'd be there to help out. Wow, once the kite was up I felt very comfortable. Bar pressure was much reduced from the previous light wind session although it was still higher than I'm used to. Jumps were unreal and I was still able to depower the kite and waveride despite the high wind. I was very impressed.
A few friends of mine were able to try out 9m and 12m Griffins on the same day and they, like me, have now put in orders for a Griffin. (After talking with Chris, I'm going for the 12m)

The bar is nicely setup and allows you to change from pulleys to non-pulleys very easily, and there's a stopper so you can ride "on the knot" if that's what you like.

I think Monkey are onto a real winner here. I thought it was a great kite and I'm happy to change from my Norths.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 91-100
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: All
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Usually use North Rhino Vs.
Have tried a 16m Best Waroo and a 9m North Rebel

For pictures and more reviews click here

otte
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby otte » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:12 pm

if this picture shows a rider on a 12 meter monkey griffin

why didnt you tell anyone to take pictures of you flying on the 15 meter :o :wink:

KiterChris
Rare Poster

Griffins

Postby KiterChris » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:04 am

Hi, the wind range on the griffins are amazing, there was this other well known brand bow on the beach and it inverted in the strong winds, the griffins where rock solid, no inversion and stable and easy to controll. the wind that day was 20 to 36+ knots, 9m 12m and 15m griffins where out. Some of the bigest jumps Ive seen where happening on the griffins that day.

This was not the highest jump of the day.

Thanks for the good feedback trant, the Australian Monkeykites shop will be online within a week.

kingmonkeymagic
Rare Poster

Postby kingmonkeymagic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:27 am

Have read posts by other people on other forums that would agree with you Trant.

Will give the 15 or 12 some considerable thought myself sometime early next year if price is good/comparable to ther brands. Chris, what do you advise for a 75kg rider for winds averaging between 10knts and 25knts, learner/intermediate.

I still don't really understand wind ranges is the upper limit for average winds or just the "in gusts" winds.

I have been waiting for an Aussie online store for a little while, when you do a google search it does not come up with much and even on the local seabreeze forum there is very little info on them.

mat
Frequent Poster

Postby mat » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:35 am

15 meter in 30+ knts ......bolox

KiterChris
Rare Poster

Griffin monkeykites

Postby KiterChris » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:17 am

mat wrote:15 meter in 30+ knts ......bolox
I was surprised to see John AND mark on a 15m in 30+ knots riding under control, wave riding and doing jumps, the griffins do have heaps of range both top end and bottom end.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kitetales/0 ... Oct40knots

These are images of the day from kitesurfing.com.au, you can see there where quite a few witnesses and it was bloody windy. I wouldn’t recommend a 15m in 30 knots, but 2 people where doing it on griffins.

kingmonkeymagic, the Australian shop will be online in about a week, if you are interested in a demo contact me, my details can be found on my profile.

I would recommend a 12m for your weight, a 15m is a great light wind or big mans kite, the 12 is an excellent all round kite which will probably get you going in 12 to 30+ knots, I strongly recommend you don’t kite in wind conditions that you are not comfortable with and get lessons form an IKO instructor.

Kite Safe!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:30 am

oct 40 knots??

the story goes from 15-30 and now 40? ;-)

at 30 there would be wild spray and the windsurfers would not be slogging. Plus the sand should be in blowing in your face, not just ankles.

I'll give you 20...

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:32 am

yes 15m in 36kts seems a bit hard to believe. maybe its possible if your 100kg like the orginal poster? im 80 and was struggling on my 7m.

KiterChris
Rare Poster

Windy

Postby KiterChris » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:40 am

Check out these pictures from the day, it was 20 to 36 knots, not all the time 20, not all the time 36, the 15m was out in about 30 knots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kitetales/0 ... 2668427282

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:06 am

Hi

We had an excellent review of the 9 flat Monkey kite at the Spanish Forum tested some weeks ago in Tarifa

Some points: Rock solid / Stable / incredible good wind range / and € 250.- ( $300.-) cheaper than same size waroo.

I´ll guess we will se more Monkey´s than Waroo´s next year flying in Tarifa :thumb:

Saludos

Return to “Kitesurfing”