Forum for travel reports and travel questions
airhoser
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

punta cana dr

Postby airhoser » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:25 pm

going to punta cana in january. can not get to cabarete. any kiting or kite schools or board rentals in punta cana or bavaro beach area. thanks

CozumelTom
Rare Poster

Postby CozumelTom » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:04 am

I stayed at the Hodelpa in Punta Cana 2 years ago. I was the only person kiting for the entire 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years. It is not a great place to kite so I am not sure if there is anything available. The beach was packed with thousands of people and launching and landing was kind of dangerous. Trees really close to the water, the water gets deep fast and not much beach. I shredded a kite with a bad launch. My wife had sun tan lotion on her hands and when the kite filled with wind it slipped out of her hands and pin-wheeled into the palm trees. There is also lots of tourist boat traffic. I found the point at the LTI hotel the best. You had some room to set-up on the point but you have to be careful of the coral heads that can stick-out of the water when riding. North of the LTI is the big ship wreck. That area between the wreck and the LTI is really nice with some flat water and friendly waves. I would not recommend going outside the outer reef break as the current is nasty and it is really choppy. You have a little side shore at the LTI point but the bays are choppy and on-shore. The other bad news is that I rode a 20M with a 142 cm x 17 inch board the whole time I was there. Wind is LIGHT! I have since bought a condo in Cozumel where the wind is great and the beaches big and uncrowded. You can check out the web site at http://www.cozumeltom.com. Maybe for your next vacation. Have fun. Tom

airhoser
Rare Poster

Postby airhoser » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:55 pm

thanks tom thats pretty well what i have heard from other sources. had no choice. next time cabarete. my other worry was airline charges for board and overweight. i was thinking of board rental. i will check out your website when finished construction.

Return to “Travel”