S2 bar problems

Forum for kitesurfers
Freerider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Freerider » Fri May 10, 2002 7:48 pm

Hey Guys, Anyone who has bought an S2 bar recently and is finding problems with the sliding track on the bottom please let me know as i am in talks with Andy Preston to resolve the problems with new parts.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Sat May 11, 2002 2:39 pm

Yes, my center strap is wearing! I cut small worn sections off (1 to 2" at a time) and remount it, but there are only so many times I can do this. Please send me an email if you find out about replacemnt straps,

thanks,
-Peter
ptraykovski@whoi.edu

Postby Guest » Sat May 11, 2002 3:52 pm

All you S-2 bar users please keep us up to date with how this product is performing. There has been ALLOT of discussion on this forum about the S-2 Lock-In bar. It seems most has been good but after using them awhile, there seems to be some problems, too. Probably more than a few of us are waiting to see how you guys feel about the bar over time. Thanks for your feedback!

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Sun May 12, 2002 5:26 am

Same problem as reported by Peter.
The ribbed strap has been wearing out after 8-10 times so I have flipped it and cut pieces to continue to use the good sections but it won't last long (and the strap cannot be shortened that much).
Also my friend who has purchased one has the same exact problem.
There is no doubts that a solution needs to be found for this problem which is caused by normal wear and tear rather than improper use of the bar. I have tried to contact S2 for a replacement but have got no reply as of yet. However a replacement would be only a temporary solution since this part needs to be improved somehow. If I had to leave for a month long kite vacation I would consider taking at least one (if not 2) spare straps, and this is not acceptable also given that this product is not exactly cheap.
Other than that I found no other problem using this bar and have been of course very happy with the lock in mechanism.
I hope S2 can come up with a reasonable alternative or at the least some spare parts while they do the R&D for new materials..
enzo

KSW
Rare Poster

Postby KSW » Sun May 12, 2002 3:45 pm

Can't understand what's going on with your bars, we have been using the bars for quite a while now (more then 40 session) and we haven't seen none wear out. This could all be because we use the bars with the black side up, if you would use it with the blue part up then it will wear out in no time.

We can help you replace your strap, just contact the Europe distributor on http://www.mellow.be, they should be able to help you out. Andy P. has been gone for a couple of weeks for more testing on new products. That is why he couldn't reply your emails.

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Sun May 12, 2002 4:31 pm

I started using the bar with the black part of the strap up then I switched because I prefer to twist the bar in that direction when I needed to depower.
The Lock in works well with the strap on either side so I figured it wouldn't matter.
I also was led to believe this was the right way to use it (with the blue on top) since I have always rigged my bars with the red leader on the left (as all Naish, Wipika etc...), I thouhgt by now it was a standard to have red color leader on the left.....I guess not with the S2 bar.
There were also no instructions that came with the bar so I just went with what seem obvious.
Thanks to KSW for your input and the offer to help us out with some replacements, I'll take you up on it right away since Andy P is not available.
I'll make sure I use it as suggested and will let you know if that takes care of the problem.
Given what happened to me and the other guys I have one last question for everyone: are we all agreeing that on kite bars red is left ?
Are you guys in Europe doing the same ?
thanks, enzo

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Sun May 12, 2002 8:05 pm

When you say black side up. Do you mean the black side faces the bar and the side faces away from the bar. That how I use mine, and how it came.It also ends up with red on right..which is what I was used to. One could flip the strap not the bar and use it with the blue facing the bar, but I don't think it would lock well that way. Mine has worn out that way after 20~30 sessions of 1-3 hours.
Enzo, if you are ordering straps could you get 2 extra and I will buy them from you?

-Peter

Also after using that bar some I think the bend is too much...it leads to over sheeting the kite when you hang off the bar to keep balance. I think a bar ith only a really subtle bend would work better...maybe about 1" off center as opposed to 2-3" as is. Maybe I'll make my own to see if I can improve on it

KSW
Rare Poster

Postby KSW » Mon May 13, 2002 10:19 am

Please check our webpage to see how we use the S2 bars. You can find a pic in the riders pages of it.

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 3:07 pm

Hello folks,
I know all about the delam problems with the strap and i am in the process os sorting it out.
please check page two on the first S2 listing for a complete reply.
Later
Andy Preston.

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Mon May 13, 2002 4:15 pm

Great Andy,thanks,
I read your reply and will ship the old strap right away.
Peter, read the other S2 thread, since they will replace the strap it's best if you ship it directly to them, it also sounds like the new ones will not wear out....
Another good ending for kiteforum, we are really getting things accomplished here, once again, Great Job Toby and Keep it up !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”