Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

link line

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:12 am

I use a link line on quad handles this is what I like to use when I ski because I,m used to them. Some times when I jump the link line slips of one end of the handles.
I use a Quadrifoil link line & Q harness.
Does anyone have this problem or a good fix for this?

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:53 am

the only thing quadrafoil makes thats any good is the Q-power line.

Get a seat harness and a bar.
actually that reminds me the other good thing quadrafoil makes is there "pro bar".
Unfortunatly it's no longer on the market. A beach or cruiser bicycle bar is a suitable alternative. Imagine handles connected across the top. The control of handles with the ease of use from a bar.

tazz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tazz » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:32 pm

Bubba
What type of harness & kites do you use?
I hav,nt use a bar yet I have only started traction flying last August.
I have a 26-Hi40 Skytigers & a 5m Airea Bronto on order.I have used these with my P.L. Buggy last fall & snow skis this winter.
All my kites came with handles also I was told they work better in the buggy.I also use the Q-harness.I had to order all my equipment in & there is,nt anyone around my area that flys traction kites so I check the net & ask Questions.
Atlantic Canadian tazz

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:19 pm

Silent Sports in Toronto sells everything you'll need.

I use a Visual Speed waist harness. It does the job. DaKine makes some excellent kite specific harness, either waist or seat, its more personal preferance than performance (I don't like wearing a "diaper")

I agree with you on the handles/buggy thing, but for anything standing a bar is more comfortable, and the performance loss won't effect yo that much.
Aren't there any windsurf shops out there?
They should have gear?

ps
I'm from Manitoba
I fly Ozone (little Devils)
Land snow and water.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:43 am

Hey Tazz:

you must have a lot of snow out that way this winter.

This is my opinion: if you're interested in kiting on the water in the summer (you should) you're best off with inflatable kites. I have used foils on the snow until recently, but have used tubes a couple of times now & they have the same advantages as they do on the water: they are very stable & they are sheetable which gives you more control over the power. On the other hand, they are a bitch to pump up in the cold; however, it can be done, you just end up with a less than perfectly inflated kite, which would not work well on water, but works OK on the snow. It is a little more complicated to launch & land a tube kite on the snow. You don't want to be dropping your tube kite on the snow too often, however, once you're a reasonably competant kite flyer you will never drop it.

I've never seen a tube kite flown with handles, although it could be done. Handles are often used with foil kites: they allow much more precise control of the kite. They are always used with buggies & often used with skis, but personally I use a bar because it's what I'm familiar with from the water & it allows you to fly one-handed which is cool & can be useful in certain situations.

If you're only going to fly on land or on the snow I would stick with foils, but if you're going to kitesurf, I would invest in inflatable kites rather than foils & learn to use them on the snow as well as on the water. Incidentally, kiting on the water is much more difficult than on the snow, but if become competant on the snow during the winter you will find it much easier to pick it up on the water.

For equipment try used stuff(iwindsurf.com) or go to silentsports.com (in Toronto)

tazz
Rare Poster

Postby tazz » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:52 am

Hello Flyboy
So far I have only been in the buggy & on kite skis the foils have worked fine. I have
3 foils one 2.6m ,3.8m & 5m the 5m is new.
If I was to get a bar is there a certain size that you would suggest.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:31 am

Sounds like you have a good range of foil kites for winter kiting & buggying. I would get a 20" to 24" bar to use with your foil kites.

If you want to kitesurf in the summer you can pick up some used inflatable kites pretty cheap in the spring. You must have some good locations for kitesurfing where you are.

Return to “Snow / Land”