IMPACT VEST-

Forum for kitesurfers
SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Mon May 13, 2002 10:19 pm

The films I see w/ extreme kiting on the ocean shows none of the riders that I can see have a vest or really any PFD device. Im wondering the true reason for impact vest.. Is it more for the lofting accidents on the beach or is there just such a hard impacted from say major air gone bad...I've seen few instances from GUST picking riders and yanking them w/ there board air-born behind them.. Now could see the board hitting the rider. How ever in Colorado where I live its the law to have a PFD vest on with something like this... I have high impacted jet ski tested rated at 50-60mph vest..
So just wondering do or should I really buy a kiting impact vest? Or w/ the padding of my jetski vest or just a normal water ski vest really act as the same.
What is you opion please...
thanks Steve
SKY HIGH

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 10:39 pm

Hello Steve,

Good questions. It is interesting that many of the best riders, and practically everyone else choose not to wear impact vests. It is a matter of individual choice of course. It is interesting that pro wakeboarders often wear impact vests. Of course they are traveling at higher speeds than your average kiteboarder. Then again we can jump a lot higher and we can hit very hard if the kite slams us down into the water at speed. Some of the pro kiteboarders have broken ribs and may have been spared if they had a good impact vest on. I suspect that I have been spared a couple of times from breaking something by an impact vest both on and off the water.

If you are lofted having that extra padding may reduce the degree of injury or perhaps even avoid it entirely along with a good helmet. More wakeboarders are using helmets as well, makes you wonder.

If Colorado law requires a Coast Guard Certified PFD, then I would say you are stuck with that. I don't like the extra bulk of PFDs and they can even lead to neck injury if you hit hard and fast enough. I prefer a good low profile impact vest although it won't necessarily float you face up if you lose consciousness.

I wear an impact mainly for warmth, secondly for impact protection and for flotation a distant third.

Rick Iossi

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Mon May 13, 2002 11:04 pm

Thanks Rick...
Im new to this all!
You know if I did go w/ a impact vest I would have to where the impact vest and a pfd on top of that and also the harness.. Looking like the Pillsbury dough boy beeing dragged across the water... Not to mention having a wetsuit on..I just dont know!
Also gave thaught to similar to what motorcross riders ware for protection. But would have to question wether to where under or over a pfd vest....
please any more idea's
thanks STEVE
SKY HIGH

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon May 13, 2002 11:13 pm

Hey Steve,

As to motocross body armour, maybe for kiteskiing or snowboarding on an icy Lake Dillon without much base. For the water I think it would make it too hard to swim. I would stick to a good helmet, impact vest, gloves and good kiteboarding technique to take care of the rest.

Rick Iossi

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Mon May 13, 2002 11:30 pm

most impact vests are not approved flotation devices, so if it is the law for you to wear one that is approved, then you are stuck with the jet ski life jacket. i have an o'neal neoprene life jacket that i use for jet sking and wakeboarding that is approved. i used it when i first started kiteboarding, but it was hard for me to breath with that on, plus a wetsuit, and a harness.
it would be pointless to wear an impact vest under a life jacket, because life jackets are about 3 times thicker than impact vests. it would be kind of like wearing a rash guard under a wetsuit.
later,
rob

Postby Guest » Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm

check out the neilpryde impact west. realy nice. the problem with impact wests is that most kitesurfers use a waist harness
john

Return to “Kitesurfing”