Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
IwannabeaKITER
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

i feel sick after build a board with epoxy, fiberglass, eps

Postby IwannabeaKITER » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:59 am

i want to like building surfboards and lightwind kiteboards with these materials but i have one huge problem- whenever I tried to make a surfboard with eps foam and epoxy resin i always get a sore throat and a cough afterward, and also a headache. i do use a respirator but i guess it must not be a good one. do you think it is my respirator? what is a good model to buy? thanks
dan

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:40 am

i hope you are not only using one of those paper face masks?

you definitely need a proper rubber mask with a organic vapor filter.
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... giene.html

also make sure that you absolutely minimise the contact of skin with chemicals like resin and solvents. the skin can absorb those too.
always wear gloves. i prefer disposable vinyl gloves, latext ones are often too soft and fragile.

if you do sanding work, a hooded paper overall is a good idea too.
good ventilation of the workshop is also necessary.

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:03 am

Howzit.... When shaping foam, the minimum is a paper mask; when laminating resin/fiberglass a really good rispirator mask, thick plastic gloves and rubber boots are what I use[also for hot coat and glossing]; sanding,a paper mask. Helpful hint; I switched to epoxy resin cause it's WAY less fumey/toxic than polyester. For me doesn't even require a restirator when laminating, just gloves and boots. The worst fumes to date have been from the automotive paint I used to color my last baord. Super toxic!!!

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:19 am

Its all to do with the styrene content in the resin .Have a look at the amount in the resin next time you purchase .The powers that be are trying to outlaw it at last.Styrene is what causes the fumes.

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:41 am

don't confuse toxic and smelly fumes!!

if it doesn't have a strong smell to it, does not necessarily it is easy on your healt.
you don't smell epoxy as much because there are no solvents in it, but the hardener component of epoxy resin is extremely toxic [the fumes of it too]and corrosive [burns your skin].

the toxic substances are not only getting into your body by breathing the fumes in, but too by skin absorbtion through direct contact and by fumes in the air.

take care.

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby gobigkahuna » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:13 am

In addition to all the good advice already posted, let me just add an additiional word of caution: the more you expose yourself to epoxy resin, fiberglass and other toxins the more susceptible you will become. In other words, it only gets worse, never gets better. I buddy of mine worked in a "hi-tech" boat shop in the NW and now is so sensitive to epoxy he starts wheezing if he even gets in the neighborhood of the stuff (we're talking hundreds of feet away).

Do everything you can to minimize your exposure to the stuff, you won't regret the extra precautions later in life.

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:48 am

There is no doubt that working with these petrochemicals, these resins and plastics with styrene and solvents and hardeners is definately bad for your health. No doubt. Unfortunatly this is the world of 90% of the kiteboard building process. But these hazards can be lessened with a good respirator, thick rubber gloves and a clean working enviornment. Also some good cardio excercise like swimming,running or biking to help purge the system of unwanted toxins.You gotta help yourself to not get toxed out. Usually it takes me around 7 days to complete a board working in my spare time. After this I normally don't build anything else for a few months so I never am chronically toxed out. I would NEVER glass boards full time. I wouldn't last!! But after years of backyard board building I'm still stoked like a punk grommet surf kid when I'm working on a new board. Some things never change!!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:09 pm

Epoxy and the hardener have chemicals that imitate the hormon estrogen and effect male fertility and hormonal balance. and can be accumulated in the fatty cells of yor body.

Young women, that are in child bearing years should be especially careful, the chemicals are released to the infant during breast feeding and cause developmental problems, that are transgenic = transfered to offspring that have not had original chemical exposure.

Sorry to sound like a worry monger....i build boards, but am past childbearing years and use protection.

if u are interested read the book "Our Stolen Future"

TW

Return to “Gear Builders”