Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review Naish Thorn 131x39 2007

Postby MissionMan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Review for Naish Thorn 2007 131x39

Times tested: 2-5

Good: Amazing pop, very nice pads (Grav D), carves upwind like a demon, very fast. Overall, a brilliant board.

Bad: Graphics are a little "average". Long fins.

Review:

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 71-80
Ability: Intermediate
Style: All
Preferred Water: Flat
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Tried the 2006 Naish Sol but never owned one.

For pictures and more reviews click here

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 am

what made you choose the 131 board? I am fairly heavy, but I like the boards short. ould you compare it to the 06 SOL for instance?I guess it's time to start thinking of changing my FLX 04...

a.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:21 am

Its an involved answer, but the reason for moving to a larger (I was previously riding a 125) was based around moving from a 2 board quiver to a 1 board quiver and primary because you don't quite need the small size boards for Bow/Sle's compared to C's so I decided to move from my 125 to a slightly larger board which would give me a little more bottom end (wind here is predominantly 10-25 knots so on a 12m I am looking at bottom end more than top end). That said, the edging ability of the thorn thusfar has proved to be as good as my 125 so I can't complain, seems like more bottom end with the same top end.

Very similar feel to the 06 Sol, particularly in chop, nice and soft but feels a little more direct and controlled. I think its best to try it and you'll get an idea.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:38 pm

ooh, sounds nice. I do think I'll b considering the 128. I tested the 96 SOL, and I really liked it, but I never got around to get it since I also like my flx. There is just way too much nice gear to spend the money on :-) such hard choices...but the board sounds super nice for sure...yeah I think I have to test it...

a.

Crede
Rare Poster

Postby Crede » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 pm

im also a happy owner of the Thorn 07!
I agree with missionman in his little preview!
well, ive only ridin it once. but that was in so great conditions both low and high wind strength!
I can only say its a too nice board!
im not used to long fins, so its a bit more "no mercy" in the surface hp. and that make it a more technical board(i still need to get some more accuracy with my landings :lol:
but can only say: WOW thats "the shit" for next year!

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 pm

tautologies wrote:ooh, sounds nice. I do think I'll b considering the 128. I tested the 96 SOL, and I really liked it, but I never got around to get it since I also like my flx. There is just way too much nice gear to spend the money on :-) such hard choices...but the board sounds super nice for sure...yeah I think I have to test it...
a.
The easist way to compare it is to say its exactly like the 06 Sol but with way more pop and thats saying something because the Sol was pretty good in that respect. Its like having a trigger on the board although I would assume the Sol may be a little more forgiving for the same reason.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:39 am

Hey MM, on more question,, I just re-read your review.. I am sitter here at home with red eyes after getting splashed down, and I was wondering, how does the splash proof edges work on the thorn?

thx
A.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:09 am

well, haven't had any issues with the spray from the 07 Thorn if that answers your question, but didn't have problems with my previous either so maybe difficult to judge.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:07 am

MissionMan wrote:well, haven't had any issues with the spray from the 07 Thorn if that answers your question, but didn't have problems with my previous either so maybe difficult to judge.
Thx, so what boards did you ride before? My FLX is fairly notorious, and I have noticed that there are two sources, one of which is the board tip...so I guess if there is an angle on the tip that could halp.

I do have one more question..did you ride it toeside to any extent, how about carving transitions?

Sorry for all the questions. :-)
a.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:31 am

I haven't ridden it since the review due to my fiance arriving so I had to spend time with her. Its very comfortable toeside, but at the moment I am using the standard fins which are quite long by normal standards. You may want to try it out. My previous board was a custom 125x39 Airtool which was beautiful. I replaced it to the Naish because I wanted a longer board and the Airtool is not available here or I may have looked at it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”