Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

preformed sidewalls

Postby Lord of the Boards » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Hi there,

Does enyone know where I can buy materials for sidewalls online? I'm looking for something like ABS, but anything similar will be allright. They have to be preshaped strips of material, to use as a sidewall (ready to use). I prefer a supplier in Europe, but USA will be OK too.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

greenkite
Rare Poster

Postby greenkite » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:12 am

i have some 1.2mx10mmx3mm abs strips availiable if you want(3 needed for average deck) .whatever you get use abs not pvc as it will break in the colder water.pm if you want some :thumb:ive got as much as you want

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Ive used UHMW-PE as edging for 10 boards then ran out.

So what i did this time was take my 15mm thick foam blank and mark out the the outline, then routed a 8mm deep x16mm wide groove (freehand with routher) along the outline.

Then i filled it with epoxy, slightly overfilled. Make sure you do it on a perfectly level table!

I trimmed it level with foam using a router that rides in a transverse carrier that is in turn on flat longitudinal rails.

Milled/sanded down top deck to shape. Was fast and easy, lowcost

TW

XSwind
Medium Poster

Postby XSwind » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:07 pm

TomW wrote:Ive used UHMW-PE as edging for 10 boards then ran out.

So what i did this time was take my 15mm thick foam blank and mark out the the outline, then routed a 8mm deep x16mm wide groove (freehand with routher) along the outline.

Then i filled it with epoxy, slightly overfilled. Make sure you do it on a perfectly level table!

I trimmed it level with foam using a router that rides in a transverse carrier that is in turn on flat longitudinal rails.

Milled/sanded down top deck to shape. Was fast and easy, lowcost

TW
I would suggest putting some microfibres in there too.

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:19 pm

what about urethane sidewalls/rails? ride is using it in there 06/07 snowboard lineup http://www.ridesnowboards.com/boards/tech/?id=sidewalls. it would work really well for dampening in chop, and if you were to bash into a slider or rock, anything hard, the urethane wouldn't crack; it might dent at best. i don't know if sheets of urethane can be bought or if it needs to be poured into a mould or whatnot, but it'd be neat to see it used as rails for kiteboards.

.devin

FNG
Rare Poster

Board Rails

Postby FNG » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:38 am

Looked over a few different series of new brand name board lines coming out.
Seemed like the trend was towards lighter, cheaper and PVC. Torsionally, they twist like credit cards.
In laying up my own, the design goals are usually a marginal trade off in weight for stiffer more durable boards made with tougher components.
Guess I'm going against the flow but it does lead me to ask if the general board riding population really gives a flying fig?

Return to “Gear Builders”