Too heavy for Slingshot Jarvis 157?

Forum for kitesurfers
jfk88
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jfk88 » Thu May 16, 2002 4:26 am

6'2" weighing about 97 kg's. Am I too large for the Jarvis riding a Wipika Hydro 11 in New Jersey USA in 8kts to 15kts as a kiteboarder for about 1 yr. now?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 16, 2002 8:57 am

I don't think it is really a matter of the size of the board. maybe you start a bit earlier, but it won't be that big of a difference, IMO.
My weight is 90 kgs and recently I tried with a 15.5 ARX in winds of 9-13 knts a board of 133cm, and it was no problem.
Just test a small board and you will see, if it works or not.

Toby

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 2:58 pm

I weigh ~90kgs. I was using my Jarvis in Cape Hatteras in about 15kts or so with a Hydro 11. The Jarvis needs a bit more power than some boards, but it can also handle that power well. It is a very nice board, I'd reccomend it.

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 3:17 pm

I just saw your other post. If you are going to hang onto your F-one cheater board (there's not much $$ in resale of directionals) then you can definitely get the Jarvis. Use the Cheater if the wind is really light.

I use F-one Shadows, I use my 6'6" Airush on the real marginal days, helps extend my wind range.

The Jarvis will help you get the feel for setting the edge and handling the power from the kite so you can go upwind. (and NO gybing, which means you don't lose headway on the transitions) I had my "breakthrough day" on my Jarvis down in Hatteras last month and was going upwind like crazy, I was psyched!

Last weekend I went back out on my 6'6", and found that I could ride it better now that I had been used to the edging with the Jarvis . I was on my F-one 9m in winds that topped out a little over 20mph. I was able to go upwind no prob. Last year while riding that same board I was getting blown off it on my 7m at that wind strength. Equipment certainly helps alot, but technique counts for even more.

jfk88
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jfk88 » Thu May 16, 2002 6:59 pm

Interesting...thanks for the input...so I'm thinking that once I get used to the blimps and improve technically using the Jarvis..and I go back to the cheater...I should be able to go upwind...

Do you like any other boards that would allow me good upwind performance for my size and predominant conditions?

THX

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 10:11 pm

I like my 2001 Naish Mutant even better than the Jarvis as far as straight line riding goes. But I am currently having to do an "in the water" gybe (i.e. hop off and turn the darn thing around) but it is SA-WEET just blasting along, all those fins really do grip and drive upwind well. I was immediately able to gain a TON more control over my foils with this board.

I got mine from Hi-Tech Maui, new 2001 for $250 a month or so ago, how could I go wrong? If I can dial in the gybe thing (or toeside riding)the Mutant will become my board of choice. If not, the Jarvis will do nicely.

Right now I'm playing a bit with both of them (about four days on each of them so far this season)

Give Hi-Tech a shout, I think they may have another one available if that interests you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”