obuerkle
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

plywood skimboard

Postby obuerkle » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey Guys,

I made a skimboard last summer. Its 120cm x 60cm wide. I really only used it once with sucess in about 15km/hr winds. I couldn't stay upwind but I could see potential with a bit more wind and it was alot of fun. I'm thinking about making another possibly larger skimboard for next summer and I'm wondering about shapes? I weigh about 200 lbs.

I copied the shape I have from some commercial non-kite board off the internet. Specifically I'm wondering about swallow tails (which mine has) and if it serves some purpose or if there is a reason not to make a symetrical (twintip) skimboard?

Also is more width better near the front of the board or the tail and are straigher rails or rounder rails best?

Lots of questions but I haven't found much information on these things.

Owen

devin
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby devin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 am

im thinking of building myself something like this come spring. being plywood, i can just drill a few holes and throw some fins on if i need.

the dimensions on Victoria's website for a rider 160-210lbs are 47x21in.

.devin

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:01 am

Wider ends with straighter rails will work . Will be harder for tricks . Put a bit of rocker into it .This will help . Take two boards to the beach ,that way you wont be disapointed . Were looking at 120 x 50 with fairly straight rails and wide ends with a small tuck in the ends .

Return to “Gear Builders”