RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:59 am

On 2003-02-01 05:22, anthonyd wrote:
Rick,

One thing I would like to add, and you might not like it but I'll go ahead.

With no insult to the woman in the pictures intended she is looking a bit too geeky. When the younger (15-19) kitesurfers look at this all they're going to think is "shit I never want to look like that so I'll not follow these instructions"

I know that a wetsuit is more practical (I use one always) and the helmet is necessary, but in the interest of getting the younger (and more irresponsible) readers to take not make her more cool. Yeah we all hate abggy pants but that is what is cool so deck her out in those for the pictures. Try to find a more radical skate type helmet and loose the gloves.

AS I said, I am nto trying to flame you in any way, just looking at it from a teenagers perspective.

Other than that the idea is great, just needs a little more thought on the presentation. (If you could get flash to do it with his green hair and the like I think it would have more effect)

Cheers

Anthony
Thanks for the constructive input Anthony. I will get on the horn to the creative department first thing Monday and give those buggers hell. Your comments are spot on when it comes to the younger riders. It would have been much better to get a 14 yr. old with a spiked out purple doo or better yet shaved bald with lots of tattoos, piercing and rings, sucking a cig. butt. The model shown would never make it on MTV, obviously. We need to consider the audience after all.

Wait a minute, I thought we were. I hope to reach the people that are leading things currently and anyone else that will stop and consider the pitch. Ideally these people may in turn promote safer practices consciously or unconsciously by example. Even the younger folks MIGHT take some cues from these better leading riders. If not, oh well, I would be happy just to convert a few of their parents and older brothers and sisters for starters. They don't listen to their parents, much, why would they listen to me? Some of the prominent mags focus primarily on the age group you mentioned. They are pros and probably really DO have a creative department. They aren't real focused on safety much but that may yet change.

Could the visuals be jazzed up, sure they could. I am thrilled just to have the model, the camera, sun light and I almost didn't for this shoot, a large relatively empty beach, wind out of the right direction, the gear, the time, not be called in some other direction, etc. For the last two shoots she wasn't even feeling well but got talked into doing it anyway. You start to get the idea. This is volunteer, amateur stuff put on last minute, in a rush with editing and assembly generally occuring late at night. When it comes together it is a bit of a miracle. We could increase the budget as well. Wait a minute, WHAT BUDGET!? Lastly and this is a big one, WHERE ELSE HAVE YOU SEEN OR READ ABOUT MOST OF THESE IDEAS? In the pro media or instructional videos? Cutting new ground can sometimes be a coarse effort but a necessary one.

I generally try to merge constructive comments into future efforts so your ideas haven't fallen on deaf ears. Considering the cash receipts for this effort and long line of volunteers, it is just a bit amusing. Then again who said it would be easy.

p.s. on losing the gloves, I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind loosing some fingers or perhaps a kite. Both have happened, more than once. The gloves, helmet, impact vest, whistle, kite leash, knife are in these photos for good reason. Someday all these items will be common but that is still off a ways. The air temp was about 55 F hence the wetsuit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-02-01 06:18 ]</font>

ant
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ant » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:42 am

Awesome guide Rick, there was a lot of useful stuff in there.

I would also like to add that the pictures are particularly good - I am an 18 year old kitesurfer and i dont think she looks geeky or in any way likely to put me off reading the article.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:45 pm

Thanks Ant! It is good that you checked it out and are thinking over some of the ideas. I also appreciate your input on the presentation. Hopefully, more riders will copy your example.

Some new images and other content has been added so check it out. More stuff will be tipped into over the coming days so stay tuned...

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:34 am

Rick

Don’t let anyone put you off doing this stuff. Being quite new to the sport I find this type if information, and the forum in general, to be an invaluable source of information. I put into practice this weekend some of the ideas you listed and other I have picked up from the forum, and I had the best, and probably the safest weekend kiteboarding I have had so far….

Simon

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:58 am

Directed to Anthony!!!

Personally the kiters that I see out there whereing pants (even over there wetsuits on cold days) are only out there to be a poser. It cracks me up every time I see them. Wetsuits are designed for watersports, pants are design for wearing around the streets.

PS I love the article and the pics are great!

eppo
Medium Poster

Postby eppo » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:54 am

Great stuff, I might write the site on cards and give them out to dudes are obviously dangerous to themselves and others. In Western Australia the sport has taken off to extreme levels, we need to be careful. One suggestion: She lands her kite on an offshore breeze, which may suggest she went out on an offshore breeze, careful here.

Cheers

eppo

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I was curious, how commonly or uncommonly for that matter, do you see folks practicing anti-lofting techniques at your local launches? By that I mean keeping their kite low after launch and never bringing it up to the vertical or zenith near hard objects among other procedures.

I suspect in the more gusty higher wind areas it is relatively common. This is because riders largely have no choice on a routine basis. In lighter wind area it may be less common. In these cases riders may be ignoring the hazard or even possibly unaware of it. The problem is that high gusts come to most areas eventually under varied circumstances.

Eppo, you could always print out the "Ten Ideas document" for a short one page format to hand out.

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3881&forum=3&4

Alternatively, you could printout the expanded Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines which large encompass most of the concepts in the online guide presented in this thread.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... EFERENCES/

Thanks for your concern and helping to spread the word!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-02-03 15:03 ]</font>

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:03 pm

Rick

At my local beach most of the ‘experienced’ riders seem to practise anti-lofting. In fact it is a good way to tell who is a beginner by watching how they move about with their kite. The beginners and those not too confident with flying tend to keep the kite in the over-head position.

After my lofting incident that I posted details of, I keep my kite as low in the window as possible. The only problem I have is that in winds of around 20Kts I find myself being dragged sideways by the kite, forcing me to fly higher in the window. I am 75Kg and use an 8m Aero and everybody keeps telling me how that should be the ideal size for 20Kts winds but I cant seem to stop myself being dragged, even when it is fully de-powered with the strap!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:02 am

Hello Redsc1,

Thanks for the local observations. I would be curious to hear how anti-lofting techniques have grown in other areas as well.

You might try setting up a longer trimming rope or strap to allow greater depowering. You might also try rigging 20 m lines and fine tuning the angle of attack of your kite.

Also you might try to demo or borrow the next sized kite down during your normal 20 kt. winds. It is possible that you might be able to get away with a bit less kite area without sacrificing performance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-02-04 06:04 ]</font>

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:20 am

Hello Toby,

"Ideas For Safer Kiteboarding" has been updated for now at:

http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... ight=ricki

and could be uploaded to the B2B or whatever portion of the new site you feel is appropriate. Thanks for everyone's input on this! There will likely be updates to the ideas listed in the future so stay tuned.

GREAT JOB on the new site and all the features and options. You had the best site before now it has gone a great deal further along that same path. Thanks!

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”