Jimneybob
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DIY Fins?

Postby Jimneybob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi all,
I've been reading this forum as a bystander for some time now and after much deliberation I am now in the process of building my first ply board. Its a 140 x 37 board made from three laminates of 4mm birch ply with a three stage rocker :D . This is also going to be my first kiteboard as I'm hoping to make the transition from the land to the water at the start of next year and as such I think that I will likely need fins to get going with.
I'm getting on quite happily with the woodwork side of it but I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to be in need of fins in the pretty near future. I was planning on making some fins for myself out of epoxy but looking around at what other people do I'm not so sure about this anymore. What are people's experiences of DIY fins and if they are far too much effort can anyone suggest the best/cheapest way to get hold of some fins? I'm based in the UK but am willing to import if necessary.

Hope to be on here a lot more as I build more,
Jimneybob :thumb:

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:08 pm

http://www.omnitech-engineering.com/fins/

hard to find an easier solution than these guys

-bill

XSwind
Medium Poster

Re: DIY Fins?

Postby XSwind » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:05 pm

Jimneybob wrote:Hi all,
I've been reading this forum as a bystander for some time now and after much deliberation I am now in the process of building my first ply board. Its a 140 x 37 board made from three laminates of 4mm birch ply with a three stage rocker :D . This is also going to be my first kiteboard as I'm hoping to make the transition from the land to the water at the start of next year and as such I think that I will likely need fins to get going with.
I'm getting on quite happily with the woodwork side of it but I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to be in need of fins in the pretty near future. I was planning on making some fins for myself out of epoxy but looking around at what other people do I'm not so sure about this anymore. What are people's experiences of DIY fins and if they are far too much effort can anyone suggest the best/cheapest way to get hold of some fins? I'm based in the UK but am willing to import if necessary.

Hope to be on here a lot more as I build more,
Jimneybob :thumb:
I have some spare fins and am based in the UK.
They are cheap but more than effective enough and are what I use on all my boards.

Have a look at a previous posting of mine.

Fins, what size are you after?

Jimneybob
Rare Poster

Re: DIY Fins?

Postby Jimneybob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:25 pm

I have some spare fins and am based in the UK.
They are cheap but more than effective enough and are what I use on all my boards.

Have a look at a previous posting of mine.
Where abouts are you? Tried looking back at your previous postings and saw some nice boards but nothing specific about fins. Might just be me being a spanner :-? . I was going to use some of the epoxy that I had left over from laminating and coating my board mixed with some microfibres and glass, mount some stainless bolts into it before it cured and hope that was OK. I know the epoxy would be brittle without the glass but was hoping that I could get away with it

Fins, what size are you after?
I've borrowed a F-one fin that I was going to take my inspiration from that is about 4.5" long by 2.5" deep at the deepest point but I have no real preference since as I said before I'm a complete novice and won't know any better anyway

Return to “Gear Builders”