Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to secure kite on snow/ice?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:16 pm

How should I do to secure my bar before start on ice and snow? I´m using a 14sqm inflatable and so far I´ve had help from another person when launching the kite. If I´m going to launch myself I have to ski/skate/run from the kite to the bar before launch. Ofcourse it´s possible to put lots of snow on the kite, but we usually don´t have very much snow here. I´m thinking of having a backpack with a some water bottle, but I don´t want to carry it around when kiting. I´ve seen in previous threads that some of you use an "ice screw" to fasten the chicken loop in the ice. What is an ice screw? Do anyone have any other tips?

/Martin

tazz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tazz » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:01 am

I hav,nt seen a ice screw.
But if you fly in the same place alot just cut a small hole in the ice and a place a stick or some other object in it & let it freeze there. This makes a great place to start and stop at.
I hope this is helpful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tazz on 2003-02-04 00:39 ]</font>

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:22 am

Use a sandbag to weigh down the kite as you would when self-launching on the beach.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:26 am

Icescrew is good for that purpose on ice. Take it with you and if got some troubles or you just want rest use it agen.
You can find icescrews from climbing shops.
Warrior

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:28 pm

Is the screw hammered into the ice?

/Martin

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:05 pm

No hammer, it´s a like pipe with threads outside and sharp cutters on downhead, you just screw it with little handle on topend and switched the kite on that handle.
Put the Google on work: -icescrew and climbing - exsample

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:54 pm

I have an ice screw and it works well with my flysurfer kites. I am not too sure how well they would work with a tube kite. I would think the only really safe way to secure a tube kite on ice would be by the safety leash.

I have heard that you can use a corkscrew as an ice screw but haven't tried so don't know how well it works.

With 4-line open-cell foils a snow fence, hay bale, or large duffel full of gear makes a good launching/landing station.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:12 pm

Get a foil!

Return to “Snow / Land”