Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

newbie gear help

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 11:05 am

hi! i just started kite lessons.i love this game!& iwould like to buy my gear to start inproving,my teacher has a two line single kite with a hand made large wakeboard.(wich idon't like to buy)i'd prefer something more oficial!!wich i would like...to use as a good kiter later on!in lite wind conditions etc.ANY advice.MANY many thanks and hopes to became ex.kiter

BlueSky
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BlueSky » Thu May 16, 2002 3:22 pm

I would say buy a twintip. About 160-170. With quite some volume. I like the Starboard Switch (e.g. 156, has quite some volume) because of the stepped rail for a good edging possibilities and good construction, but have a Wipika Olry 175 myself (started with it and still having fun with it)). More volume/bigger board means you'll be on the water earlier, but it's more difficult when you're experienced and riding in high winds.

Kite type and size depending on weight, wind and wishes

I would choose a 16m2 flat (not projected!!) if you are 70-80 kg and want to surf winds somewhere in the range 3-5 Beaufort. If you weigh less, take a size smaller. If you are really stoked, buy a second kite size 11-12 m2.

Type kite is difficult. Depends on your enthusiasm and willingness to have difficult times on the water.

Always choose a 4-line kite with depower possibilities. It’s much better to be able to release some power in gusts and it will save your strength. I use a quickrelease to attach the chickenloop to my seatharness. Is safer than just the hook. Won’t drop and you can release with one simple pull on a line if the winds are getting to strong suddenly (getting your chickenloop out of your hook can be extremely difficult).

Difficult kites are Wipika Airblast, Takoon Skoop, Fone Mach1, Naish X2 etc. Easier kites are deeper like Wipika Hydro, Fone Magic, Naish Aero, North Toro etc.

Difficult = easier steering/faster kite and more difficult to waterstart.

I started with airblast and have no regrets. Progress was very fast, but I do have a windsurf background. Just inform yourself very well.

Good luck and be careful.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

BlueSky
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BlueSky » Thu May 16, 2002 3:27 pm

Ohh and am riding Fone Mach1 now... So happy...

Postby Guest » Fri May 17, 2002 11:47 am

many thanks m8...i'm just comfused for the moment.nice infos...for the record i'm 95kgr!& i live in greece &very crazy...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 17, 2002 3:11 pm

A 16sqm kite is good for light winds, but on the other side it is not a kite for a beginner. It doesn't handle that easy, isn't very good to restart and if it is gusty it will be a hard time for you.
12 sqm surface area is a very good size to start with. Easy handling. And it is no waste of money, since the next kite would be a 16sqm kite which is a good combination for winds from 3-6 Beaufort.
Bluesky is right in saying to get a Twintip about 150-180 cm. You don't need bigger.
The smaller the more fun you will have when you now how to play the game.
Also make sure to get a 4-line kite which will give you more control and the possibility to adjust according to the wind strenght.

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”