Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airblast or Hydro

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:36 pm

Help me help meh...
I have been waiting way to long for my replacement Airblast 8.4 & 11.8.

I have been offered the Hydro and I am considering it.

Any thoughts on this?

THX,

Flyin' in Philly

Danny

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:08 pm

Danny,
have been using the Hydro's for a few months now (about 20-25 times I guess) and really like them becasue they are extremely friendly kites and allow you to really focus on your riding, they are super stable and super easy to relaunch from the water (almost effordless). They're also easy to control in gusty/overpowered consitions.
I'm sure some will mention the fact that the AB is a higher performing kite (higher aspect) but in my experience so far I have been very happy to trade off few extra feet of air for a smooth ride, ease of use, immediate relaunch and as a result my riding has improved significantly. If that's what you want from your next kite the Hydro will deliver just that.
I think this is pretty much true for all the other comparisons between high aspect kites and medium aspect kites such the AB and the Hydro.
enzo

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:20 pm

Enzo,
thanks for the reply!
What size Hydro's will replace the AB 8.4 & 11.8?
Danny

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:30 pm

you're welcome Danny,
I would go with 8.9 and 11.5. The only small difference from you current set up is that you will loose 1-2 knots in the low end range of your larger AB (the 11.:cool: so if you can now plane around 6-8 knots with the big AB (depending on your weight and borad) you will need 8-10 knots using the Hydro 11.5.
That said you will also notice that the Hydro still behaves much better when uderpowered compared to the AB, even when the wind suddenly drops it is far easier to recover with an Hydro than with an AB. Given the conditions in your area that is something to really take into consideration.

enzo

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:23 pm

Much appreciated.
It sounds like I will be juiced all the time. I have kited a total of 20-25 times since June of last year and only used the 11.8 once! Our spot gets on average 2-3 days a week with pretty consistant winds of 14-18mph.
Fedex Saturday delivery here they come...
Later,
Danny

jfk88
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jfk88 » Fri May 17, 2002 4:26 pm

Danny,

I'm in NJ.. and I was curious where you ride? I'm always looking for people to rip or to try to rip with...it seems as though we are at about the same level in terms of experience.

Get at me..
jfk88@email.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 17, 2002 6:40 pm

the Hydro is an intermediate kite and the AB a high performance kite. Depending on the style you want, you should decide.

Toby

Postby Guest » Sat May 18, 2002 12:33 am

Toby,
I was the original author of this thread and decided on the Hydro 9 & 11. All is well except when boosting higher than 20-25+ft high. I seem to luff/swing under the kite a lot and it just drops out of the sky as I land from big airs. Does the intermediate characteristics inhibit the kite from handling advanced jumps or was my 01'AB just doing it for me and I just need to learn how to fly the Hydro?

Postby Guest » Sun May 19, 2002 11:41 am

i also find the same problem when jumping - please advise...

carlo
http://www.kitesurf.co.za

Postby Guest » Sun May 19, 2002 12:11 pm

you can jump that high with the Hydro?
maybe I have to try it myself?! :wink:

IMO it is not the kite, it must be the technique. With every kite you can land smooth, some more some less. For me the new X2 brings me down so soft, that I'm estonished every time. But if I don't fly the kite right, I will fall down as well.
A good method to learn jumping and the right timing is, when you look up to your kite while in the air, because you can see, where it is. If it is a smaller kite, it is faster and needs to be steered around the zenith. If you fly it forward to early it will go through the Powerzone and excellerate you, which hurts and can break your rips. Also make sure, not to turn the kite form 9 or 3 o'clock, but from 11 or 1 o'clock, This gets you higher and not as fast as the other way around. Keep the kite around the zenith and shortly before landing steer it forward to get going.

It is not easy to explain, so if you have questions, let me know.

go for it!
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”