Forum for kitesurfers
dpca10
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Would you Surf in a Drysuit? Snowboard?

Postby dpca10 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:09 am

Looking into the pyro pro as another toy to add to my bag of tricks. I was just wondering if anyone surfs or snowboards in their drysuit. Seems it might be tricky to duck dive considering you have some air inside. Reminded me of the 80's ski suits so I wondered if anyone used it on the mountains.

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:05 am

OceanRodeo has a pyro surf especially for this purpose. I would not use it for kiting though. I have the Pyro pro and that thing rocks. You ll have to let the air out before you go out. you do this by opening your neckseal and form yourself into a "bal" shape to press all air out.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:59 pm

dwarf wrote:OceanRodeo has a pyro surf especially for this purpose. I would not use it for kiting though. I have the Pyro pro and that thing rocks. You ll have to let the air out before you go out. you do this by opening your neckseal and form yourself into a "bal" shape to press all air out.
I am interested in any opinions aboput the advantages of the Pyro Pro vs the Pyro Surf dry suits. I need something warm and durable and I need it soon!

regards
Kirk

chrisontherio
Medium Poster

Postby chrisontherio » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm

I use a Kokotat drysuit during the colder months. It's easy to get the air out, just submerse yourself in the water before you start. You have to layer accordingly, as the gortex isn't as warm as a neoprene suit.

My suit has booties built into the suit, which prevents water from shooting up your ankles. Otherwise you can tuck your suit under your booties. Nice getting out of the dysuit and being completely dry and warm. i'm a fan. As for the naysayers who talk about ripped suits, etc, as long as your gaskets are kept in good shaper there's no issues. We've been using them for kayaking for years.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Kirok wrote:
dwarf wrote:OceanRodeo has a pyro surf especially for this purpose. I would not use it for kiting though. I have the Pyro pro and that thing rocks. You ll have to let the air out before you go out. you do this by opening your neckseal and form yourself into a "bal" shape to press all air out.
I am interested in any opinions aboput the advantages of the Pyro Pro vs the Pyro Surf dry suits. I need something warm and durable and I need it soon!

regards
Kirk
The Surf can be used for both kiting and surfing, but if you are not a surfer, buy one of the " classic " style Pyros.

The new surf site will be up in a few weeks. The pyro surf is designed for cold water surfing as described below, so our main goal was air control in the drysuit with a smooth fast swimming outer surface.
For kiteboarding the existing loose cut suits will never go out of style as its nice to wear a suit thats not skin tight (pro, classic and lite).

The text below is taken from the "work in progress" web site:

This revolutionary drysuit technology eliminates the cold freeze, chill and excess buoyancy found with traditional cold water wetsuits.

1) Streamlined:The Dry Core form fitting outer layer of lycra forms a wrinkle free streamlined surface for fast swimming and incredible mobility. This stretchable outer layer also squeezes out excess trapped air reducing buoyancy for easy duck dives.

2) Unlimited Range of Motion:At less than 0.5mm thick and made of two independent layers this suit offers an unlimited range of motion unparalleled by any neoprene suit now available.

3) Light weight: Dry Core Suits with the appropriate thermal undergarment are half the weight of wetsuits designed for similar water conditions. Lighter weight results in less use of energy and greater performance.

4) Huge temperature Range: The Dry Core Technology provides a dry barrier against the elements but it is what you wear under the suit that keeps you warm! Just like snowboarding or skiing you match your undergarment to the conditions.

5) Fast Dry: The Dry Core bladder will not absorb water. When wearing a wetsuit, second sessions are ruined by the torture of donning your wet and cold wetsuit. With Dry Core just shake the dry suit a few times and put on a set of fresh fleece. No more putting on a cold wetsuit for your second session!

6) Easy to Clean and Service: The two layers of Dry Core easily separate for servicing by means of Velcro fastening strips found at the wrists, ankles and zipper.

The cold water wetsuit has been canceled. :thumb:
Attachments
268040139_b3a8f5a263_b.jpg
268040139_b3a8f5a263_b.jpg (166.97 KiB) Viewed 3897 times

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:50 pm

sounds awesome, great to see OR pushing into other markets...

Holmes 0303
Rare Poster

Postby Holmes 0303 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:19 pm

Looks like a great product and I'm eagar to learn more, However the placement of the zipper in the front looks like it could make things difficult from a surfing aspect. Seems like it may get in the way? Would wax buildup in the zipper be an issue?

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:26 pm

The zipper is not an issue. The Surf fits snug on the body, so there is no contact between it and the board, unless of course the wearer is laying face down for a rest! All of our drysuits zippers are meant to be waxed with zipper wax, which contains a lubricant to keep the zipper moving freely.

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 pm

I use a OS Systems Splash-B and love it. (http://www.ossystems.com/)Whatever you get make sure it has a front zipper. Soooo much easier to deal with. Integrated socks are a must as well. The O'Neil Heat round toe booties fit perfectly over the integrated latex socks and still provide a good feel to with the board.

Chris

dpca10
Frequent Poster

Postby dpca10 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:25 am

How are you supposto fit the drysuit. I couldn't immagine wearing a fleece under any wetsuit. How much material do you actually need to keep warm?

Return to “Kitesurfing”