Forum for kitesurfers
chris06
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

north rocketfish 5.5 07

Postby chris06 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:12 pm

somebody have test this surf, do you must have more winds for use it ?
how many knots must have with a waroo 2 13m for starting ?

Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster

BUMP!

Postby Rodan'sWings » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Yes i wanna know too! Please tell us your weight and everything!

-wAVe-
Frequent Poster

Postby -wAVe- » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:08 pm

me too!

ridethesurf
Rare Poster

Postby ridethesurf » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:25 pm

because this board has way more volume than a normal twin tip, it will get you going early.
With a 13 meter kite i would say all you need is 10 to 12 knots and you are staying upwind.

I tried the board, and like the feel of it, stable on the water, but you can still make sweet turns with it. No big fan of the strap setup though, seems pretty far back, more inserts would be good, (but that might me my personal stance causing that problem.)

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest

Postby swell » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 pm

The straps position is OK. You just have to get used to it.
I have a NTH Rocketfish from 2005. At the beginning I felt terrible on this board (comming from a twintip), but this year I've practiced a lot on Nobile Skimboard, after that the Fish was TOTALY OK!
And note: this isn't a board for a light wind, it needs moderate to strong pull for agressiv riding an heavy break. If for light wind conditions or relaxed strapless surfing I would choose the Rocketfish 5'10.

Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster

Re: ...

Postby Rodan'sWings » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:28 pm

swell wrote:And note: this isn't a board for a light wind, it needs moderate to strong pull for agressiv riding an heavy break. If for light wind conditions or relaxed strapless surfing I would choose the Rocketfish 5'10.
Also the 05' Rocketfish was a swallowtail and this new template is a pintail....pintails in the "surfing world" are mostly used for larger hollow surf. BTW, I just read an article in this months Kiteboarder Mag that said the average board size is 5'5" and under.....but thats HAWAII....the rest of us are different wind+water-wize. ANYONE ELSE WANT TO SPEAK UP ABOUT THE NEW 5'5" ROCKETFISH? THANKS :D

-wAVe-
Frequent Poster

Postby -wAVe- » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 pm

Definately would like to know more abobt the 07 Rocketfish...

I had the 05 Rocketfish - fish tail - slow to plane, bouncy and difficult toe-side - great on a wave.

I now have the 06 5'4" Pin tail Rocketfish - early to plane, fast, easy toe-side, longer turns on a wave (not as turny as 05).

07 Rocketfish is now a Squash tail? and a little wider (44cms).

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:59 pm

-wAVe- wrote:Definately would like to know more abobt the 07 Rocketfish...

I had the 05 Rocketfish - fish tail - slow to plane, bouncy and difficult toe-side - great on a wave.

I now have the 06 5'4" Pin tail Rocketfish - early to plane, fast, easy toe-side, longer turns on a wave (not as turny as 05).

07 Rocketfish is now a Squash tail? and a little wider (44cms).
I've been riding John's custom version of each production Rocketfish going back to his first one.

I agree with your comments. The 05 fish was bouncy and slow to plane, but turned great. The 06 pin was fast, easy to ride (no bouncing), but stiffer turning. The 07 is finally perfect. It's the same fast easy to ride (no bouncing) shape as the 06, but with the quick snappy turning of the 05. His 07 5'5 shape is so perfect (finally :thumb: ) that his customs haven't changed in 12 months. He's been pumping out the custom version of the 07 5'5 and shipping them to riders of all over the world with great feedback from everyone. The same board is being used by riders with a broad range of weights and skills. It's the ultimate all around board.

The 5'10 is a big volume board well suited for strapless light wind stuff. Or for guys who want to paddle surf it when traveling.

Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster

Postby Rodan'sWings » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:48 pm

Dwight, thanks for the info, Where were you testing these, in NC or Hawaii? are these prototype boards epoxy or poly? Did you notice much wieght difference between the RF and an Amundson Custom? The 07' RF is cheaper by $100-200 than his customs, from what ive found.
I emailed John Amundson asking which is better for me but im afraid thats a hard question.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:11 am

Rodan'sWings wrote:Dwight, thanks for the info, Where were you testing these, in NC or Hawaii? are these prototype boards epoxy or poly? Did you notice much wieght difference between the RF and an Amundson Custom? The 07' RF is cheaper by $100-200 than his customs, from what ive found.
I emailed John Amundson asking which is better for me but im afraid thats a hard question.
Polyester and epoxy. Weight is about the same for either due to John's type of construction.

RF feels about the same weight or maybe a touch lighter. Ridden mostly in NC.

Return to “Kitesurfing”