Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

jumping

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:10 am

when sining kite if you over choke it will stall and loose power. So when jumping does the same happen? When I jump I load up,release and choke kite then turn it.Is this a bad technique ? Am I loosing height due to this sheeting in? I am flying Wipi 11.8. Thanks in advance for any advice
Cheers Rusty

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:17 am

My technique must be flawless ay? I think not!! Is this a stupid Question or just too boring ? Should I have asked for tecnique tips on jumping foils vs tubes.?
I am replying to my Q so it doesnt get sorted to bottom of the pile and maybe, just maybe someone might help me.
Please help .Even in 20 knots my jumps are only head high, so I obviously have alot to learn.
Rusty

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:18 am

My technique must be flawless ay? I think not!! Is this a stupid Question or just too boring ? Should I have asked for tecnique tips on jumping foils vs tubes.?
I am replying to my Q so it doesnt get sorted to bottom of the pile and maybe, just maybe someone might help me.
Please help .Even in 20 knots my jumps are only head high, so I obviously have alot to learn.
Rusty

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:22 am

PS I am no long anonymous

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:57 am

i'll toss you a bone. i am new to jumping so take that for what its worth...jumping high is all about being powered up. why load the kite (and your board) only to "choke it" off before you reach the apex. once i leave the water i pull the bar all the way in to the chicken loop and only depower to set my board down softly. hope that helps!

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:29 am

THANK YOU.SO SHEET IN TO POWER/HEIGHT .Sheet out for landing (is this to axcess power or for hang time)BONE GREATFULLY ACCEPTED

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:55 pm

DONT CHOKE IT !!!

If you have enough speed, you can pull the bar further in at takeoff, to get more power/height.

If not that windy or much speed, pull the bar, but not as much (as this will choke the kite).

Its a very delicate balance, that takes a long time to master.

As long as you know the idea - sheet out and go full speed very powered, and then sheet in on takeoff when flying the kite back.

The finetuning of "how much" will come in time !

You can also jump just by flying the kite back - without pulling or pushing the bar.
Maybe even in the fixed loop.
This is much easier, and you don't risk doing it wrong this way.

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:01 pm

I find trying to maintain good line tension untill the last moment helps you go up rather than long, its a lot of practice and it will come together. Weve all been there !!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:56 am

If you ride quite powered up then you'll find it harder staying ON the water than getting OFF the water....

The physics of jumping is complex but as long as you have solid tension in your lines and then fling the kite backwards it's just a matter of practice....

You need to be pretty powered to get the big jumps in.... like finding it difficult to walk upwind with kite above you..... and difficult to hold the kite when down low and walking to water...

However small to medium sized jumps don't need that much power...

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:06 am

I think you need to be more aggressive in flying the kite from 10 o'clock back to 1 o'clock. You will go up from the pendulum effect. Be sure to turn the kite back to the direction of travel as soon as you leave the water.
Work on your timing.
Fly more powered.
Be more aggressive.
Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”