Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New boarder - what should I buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pierre
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pierre » Sun May 19, 2002 8:53 am

There sould really be a FAQ on this! Anyway, I'm 65 kg, medium height looking to buy a beginner kite for medium/light winds and a board to go with it. I'm looking at the Hydro or Airblast, or a Naish. I'm not a surfer/windsurfer/snowboarder but I am comfortable with power-kites, even 4-line flavours. I own a couple of kites, but none that are suited to kiteboarding. The most important thing for me is to be able to learn quickly, go up-wind easily and generally get going with the sport. What do you think? Also - is it important to get some lessons? Or can you learn on your own if you know how to handle the kites? Thanks!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 19, 2002 12:02 pm

Hi Pierre,

If you know how to handle the kites is the most important thing. Many people don't know anything about it, thatwhy they misjudge the power of the kites. If you already know about its power and control it, you are able to learn by yourself.
But it is always recommended to attempt a course. Becuse you will learn more about techniques and material and coordination.
Also to avoid accidents and to anticipate danger.
With your weight you should start with an intermediate kite of about 9-12 sqm surface area, depending on the winds you have.
With 65 kgs you may should start with 10 sqm for winds of about 3-5 Beaufort.
Following choices you have of intermediate kites: Wipika Hydro 7.0 (surface area 9.5), Naish Aero 10.0 and North Toro 10.0.
All good kites, good quality and esay restart.
If you want to improve fast, get a twintip not bigger than 160 cm.

Hope that helped.

Cheers
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”