Forum for kitesurfers
dhia
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

drysuit wetsuit

Postby dhia » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:58 pm

i amthinking of buying a drysuit for the winter. How is it for unhooked hard landings and what do you wear underneath the dysuit.
What are the best brands?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Ocean Rodeo are the industry leaders for dry suits.

do you really need anything bigger than shorty in tunisa??

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:20 pm

If you unhook a lot you should consider taking the Ocean rodeo pyro pro. These have extra stretch at the armpits which is definitely nice for unhooking. I went head-down a few times while doing f16's with my drysuit and was amazed every time that no water came in. Only time I had tiny bit of water came in was when i crashed head first smack in a 3-4m wave. even then it was just a few drops! I love this suit. Keeps you warm. I just wear a sports T-shirt (with that material that transport sweat from your body) and a cheap ass fleece sweater. For my legs I use skiunderwear and on top of that I have again a cheapass but nice and warm training pants. I go out easily in temperatures around 0 degrees. Not even cold when taking a break since there is no windchill when wearing a pyro! :thumb: I would d3efinately consider an OceanRodeo suit. Not for nothing that they also built sry-suits for the canadian army and police

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 pm

i ride 5+ months a year in a Bare ultra dry, plenty of unhookd shenagins and the suit behaves fine. Sounds like you were considered about how the suit would move or conform to the body during extreme range of motions... I never feel the suit confines my riding.

as the other cats have mentioned, you might get a kiss of water from a fall where the seal is the first thing to hit the water, but you wont notice it after.

i wear same stuff as when I snowboard, silk undergarmets, 100-300 weight polartech fleece, primaloft when its real cold.

Orodeo are the bomb, bare is fine, Ive had my suit for three seasons and the gaskets and zipper will be dead long before the suit, so Im not sure if the extra material in abrasion zones is neccessary.

I cant wait till someone makes a highly stretchable, lwr profile bag drysuit, but thats not there yet. Mystic i think uses some stretch panels... but Im talking full suit.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 pm

scklandl wrote:i ride 5+ months a year in a Bare ultra dry, plenty of unhookd shenagins and the suit behaves fine. Sounds like you were considered about how the suit would move or conform to the body during extreme range of motions... I never feel the suit confines my riding.

as the other cats have mentioned, you might get a kiss of water from a fall where the seal is the first thing to hit the water, but you wont notice it after.

i wear same stuff as when I snowboard, silk undergarmets, 100-300 weight polartech fleece, primaloft when its real cold.

Orodeo are the bomb, bare is fine, Ive had my suit for three seasons and the gaskets and zipper will be dead long before the suit, so Im not sure if the extra material in abrasion zones is neccessary.

I cant wait till someone makes a highly stretchable, lwr profile bag drysuit, but thats not there yet. Mystic i think uses some stretch panels... but Im talking full suit.
You won't find anything lower profile than this in a drysuit (or a cold water wetsuit for that matter)......Ocean Rodeo Pyro Surf, available soon!
Attachments
Pyro Surf.jpg
Pyro Surf.jpg (166.97 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

waldekol
Rare Poster

Postby waldekol » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 am

Has anybody used Storm drysuit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Storm-drysuit-for ... dZViewItem

or Dryfasion drysuit:

http://www.dryfashion.de

and is willing to share his opinion about that staff?
The prices are quit low.

abowman
Medium Poster

Postby abowman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Any more info on that new OR Suit???

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Bare Ultra-Dry suit here.. love it.
ample amount of room to allow full movement.

250$ less than OR.

back zipper .. i can zip and unzip myself w/o problems.

the front zipper of an OR is pretty damn sweet tho.

if i wore Drysuit more than a few times per year I might consider spending the extra change.. but I ride w/ it mostly out of comfort .. typically have to go to work right after a session (early AM).. and its damn nice to remove it and jump in the car.

I wear basic fleece sweats and sweatshirt w/ tshirt underneath. is cold if my tshirt rides up and my bar stomach touches the VERY cold suit. yow!..

:)

ckramer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ckramer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:18 pm

I have bought a very good drysuit for just 320 euros. THere are kite specific drysuits with open feet and others with latex feet.

If you want to make sure that you stay absolutely dry, I would go for the ones with latex feet, and wear booties over them so that you do not damagethe latex.

they are very comfortable since you just get in the suit with your clothes and when you are done you just open the zip and get back home wihout having to change in the cold like when you use a wetsuit.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:43 pm

abowman wrote:Any more info on that new OR Suit???
We will be officially launching the suit (including a dedicated web site) soon. For now, here is some basic info:

The text below is taken from the "work in progress" web site:

This revolutionary drysuit technology eliminates the cold freeze, chill and excess buoyancy found with traditional cold water wetsuits.

1) Streamlined:The Dry Core form fitting outer layer of lycra forms a wrinkle free streamlined surface for fast swimming and incredible mobility. This stretchable outer layer also squeezes out excess trapped air reducing buoyancy for easy duck dives.

2) Unlimited Range of Motion:At less than 0.5mm thick and made of two independent layers this suit offers an unlimited range of motion unparalleled by any neoprene suit now available.

3) Light weight: Dry Core Suits with the appropriate thermal undergarment are half the weight of wetsuits designed for similar water conditions. Lighter weight results in less use of energy and greater performance.

4) Huge temperature Range: The Dry Core Technology provides a dry barrier against the elements but it is what you wear under the suit that keeps you warm! Just like snowboarding or skiing you match your undergarment to the conditions.

5) Fast Dry: The Dry Core bladder will not absorb water. When wearing a wetsuit, second sessions are ruined by the torture of donning your wet and cold wetsuit. With Dry Core just shake the dry suit a few times and put on a set of fresh fleece. No more putting on a cold wetsuit for your second session!

6) Easy to Clean and Service: The two layers of Dry Core easily separate for servicing by means of Velcro fastening strips found at the wrists, ankles and zipper.

Cheers,

Evan

Return to “Kitesurfing”