Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foldable board? Easy to carry when travelling or on a bike..

Forum for kitesurfers
daft
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby daft » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 am

That link cannot be displayed unless you register. Can you provide any info, or is it the same 125x38 board that has been on the Bali web site for a long time?

Bali doesn't answer email. Is there any way to export these, or can anyone be talked into reselling some over ebay or whatever?

These kind of boards are URGENTLY needed. More and more airlines are tightening the rules. And it's not just the flight that matters, but various connections on public bus or train - you don't always link up to a private vehicle.

eran m
Frequent Poster

Postby eran m » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am

bali wind

Last edited by eran m on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 am

daft wrote:That link cannot be displayed unless you register. Can you provide any info, or is it the same 125x38 board that has been on the Bali web site for a long time?

Bali doesn't answer email. Is there any way to export these, or can anyone be talked into reselling some over ebay or whatever?

These kind of boards are URGENTLY needed. More and more airlines are tightening the rules. And it's not just the flight that matters, but various connections on public bus or train - you don't always link up to a private vehicle.
they usually answer e-mails, did you try this add. email@baliwind.co.il <email> ???
i'll try to contact them for u.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:06 pm

eldadgold wrote:from BALIWIND located in Israel-
hollow board and weighs only 2.2 kilos with straps, fins and handle !!!

Anybody tested this interesting one yet, since it's the same Brand,
or any advantages :?:

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Here you will find what you are looking for:

http://perso.orange.fr/kitesurf-ventdef ... index.html

With videos on mounting and unmounting and the Travel Board in action

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:19 am

The Baliwind looks like they have a newly improved, stronger connector. Still looks like the smallest of all the designs. Note that it's with the medium or larger boards where the need to fold is the greatest.

The Vent de Folie travelboard folks don't answer email any more than the the others. Come in Israel, France, or South Africa? The latter seems to have the most structurally interesting approach, where the zig-zag must convert bending forces to push-pull: http://www.peach-kites.com/boards.htm

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:45 am

For Vent de Folie, I heard that the design has been licensed and is entering production.

They seem to work also on a waveboard version now.

One of my friends took the prototype board with him last year to Greece for a family vacation (just one small extra bag to take with on the plane), kited with it every day and was very satisfied with the performance.

If you have contact problems, PM me your request and I will try to contact these guys by phone. They may also answer your e-mail soon, but do not expect instant feed-back on a week-end from France, they are not likely to take Blackberrys to the beach.. 8)

overboard
Medium Poster

Postby overboard » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:39 pm

The Baliwind board with the Union Jack painted on the top is mine and it arrived this morning. The board looks great and the finish is excellent. The bottom is carbon with the Baliwind name and logo like the one on the website with small silver flecks in the finish. The central spine is now solid carbon instead of four rods and what you cannot see on any of the pictures is a carbon slot in one half near the bottom of the board with a carbon tenon on the other half which fits into it to seal the joint. The handle has a metal plate under it to keep the two halves of the board together. The width of the footstraps can be varied to accomodate three different widths. Needless to say the board is nice and light.

The board came with plenty of spare bolts and also a spare fin plus a piece of carbon showing what the honeycome structure inside of the board looks like.

These lads are rearly nice to deal with, speak good english and can be contacted via the telephone numbers on their web site.

Now all I have to do is finish packing (one normal holdall only for kite gear and clothes) fly out to where it is nice and warm and windy and start using the board.

overboard
Medium Poster

Postby overboard » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 am

Finally arrived in Raglan, North Island, New Zealand and managed to get out on the Baliwind travel board for a first blast. The following are my first impressions:

Wind/tide: Wind against tide with approximately 10kts wind & 5 kts tide.
Board: Baliwind travel board 130x39.
Kite: Flysurfer Speed 2 10m.
Water condition: Flat with small chop in areas.

The board felt fast with a smooth ride over the chop. It tracks well and flies upwind. In the conditions the more I dug the rail in to go upwind the faster it went. I felt I was still accelerating when I ran out of space. There was no splashing from the tips. When I ventured into the lagoon out of the influence of the tide power started to fall off, as you would expect, as it is like having the wind drop by 5kts, however I was able to keep going by working the kite but struggled to stay upwind. This establishing the bottom end of the kite/board combination. Needless to say the footstraps were comfortable and the odd jump I did land clean was a soft landing. The next step will be to use the board in more challenging water and wind conditions.

Hope the above write up may prove useful to anyone looking into travel boards.

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:20 am

Thanks. It's funny, I was just wondering why Raglan wasn't posted on kitebeaches and whether you could kite there. Care to say what size/type fins you have? And does your center plug come completely out, or does it stay sticking out of one side when apart? Any changes you would suggest if you got another one?

PS. I and maybe some others may be doing a bit less traveling than planned. Delta frequent flyer program just pulled the sneaky trick of all time and expired miles a year earlier than promised. The lucky ones found out just beforehand and could fix it, but others lost everything thru no fault of their own.

Return to “Kitesurfing”