daibee
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Travel advice needed - travelling with kite gear

Postby daibee » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi,

I'm planning trip around the world and want to make sure I spend as much time as possible kitesurfing. HAs anyone got any advice about taking my gear with me - should I or shouldn't I?

I'm planning on going to countries like India where there doesn't seem to be many kite rental places. Has anyone tried getting their gear posted to them on route?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dai Bee

intheozone
Rare Poster

Postby intheozone » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Having traveled alot with my gear. the airlines are generally very helpful and i think keeping your gear with you is better than relying on postal services that tend to be unreliable and expencive

karen
Medium Poster

Traveling with gear...

Postby karen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:51 am

Wow- how cool is that!!

Definitely take your gear with you, along with a very good and complete repair kit! I'd also take along extra fins and screws, epoxy, etc...

You may want to think about carrying your bar with you on the plane; you can get a hold of kites, perhaps, but it's always good to have your own bar.

Put your name and contact info on your gear, in case it gets lost somewhere...

If you find yourself in need of gear, don't underestimate the second-hand available! If you get a PayPal account, and perhaps put some money in it, you will know that you'll be able to pay for the gear quite easily, from anywhere in the world.

Also do your homework ahead of time, as much as possible- find out where the local shops are, not just the local kite beaches.

If I think of anything else, I'll pm to you!

Have fun!!
Karen

nvr_quit
Rare Poster
Weight: 200
Local Beach: San Clemente & Lake Mohave
Gear: Primarily Kite foiling on tiny FBF foilboards and BRM Clouds
Brand Affiliation: FBF Foilboards

Postby nvr_quit » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:35 am

I'd suggest also traveling with gear...and would suggest adding a rider on your home owner insurance policy. I usually travel with 3 bow kites, board, pump, & harness in my Golf Bag...totaling over $4500. That's alot for one bag...most baggage policies only cover a fraction if lost or stolen.
Assuming your in the US check out AAA for travel insurance....I've learned quite bit after a bad experience in Brasil.
Pura Vida,
Thomas :dance3:

karen
Medium Poster

Postby karen » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:25 am

Great idea to add the insurance!

Also, American Express has some great travel protection programs available to cardholders. You must use the card to purchase your tickets, of course, and the programs are add-ons, so you do have to pay a nominal fee per ticket, but they're well worth it, imo. They offer a few, and some will cover the cost of gear if stolen from a rental car, or even pay you per day for delayed luggage. (If the bags that are delayed have your gear, this is great for covering costs of rental gear- so at least you can get on the water.)

Speaking of insurance- it's a good idea to have some sort of travel medical insurance, too. And access to emergency money, should you need it.

Enjoy!
Karen

CozumelTom
Rare Poster

Postby CozumelTom » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Check out the info I wrote in the "Cheap Baggage" forum topic right above your post. It should help you with the airlines and check-in.
Let's Ride!
Tom
http://www.cozumeltom.com

Return to “Travel”