Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 21, 2002 2:44 pm

btw Royce, which is you favorite?
And o you have more options for connecting the lines like the X2 has? (2 in front and 2 at the back?)

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Tue May 21, 2002 5:15 pm

@coxy:
iv'e seen this @ a wipika and an airrush kite, too.
if you pumpt he fronttube a little harder and sheet out a little more (if you're set to full power), this should be history.
i also noticed that you have to fly the kite more agressive. when you fly it down to start or after jibing, you gotta steer it down real hard, like 90 degrees to the water or even more, cause when you just drop it slightly and start edging, you'll send it too far out of the wind window and it'll perform exactly
how you described.

nicolasc
Rare Poster

Postby nicolasc » Tue May 21, 2002 7:08 pm

hello, today I tried the super type 16m, my feeling is ok. You can ride fast, jump good, but I noted a big problem. I can't be back at the same point I downwind everytime (I can't translate sorry with my poor english). I hope you understand what I want to write. We were 3 riders to try it and all people had the same problem. The problem is not my ability. I make one foot, no foot etc... Had someone the same problem with this kite?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 22, 2002 7:38 am

doesn't it fly to the windows edge enough?
This could be the reason, but is a problem of the kite, not your skills. if it doesn't fly all the way to the edge and stays more in the middle, it pulls you more towards down wind then pulling you upwind.

coxy
Rare Poster

Postby coxy » Wed May 22, 2002 8:16 am

Could this not be related to the same problem that I had, where the kite would stall because the front lines are to long?

I have tried shortening the front lines as Royce suggested and it does seem to fly much further forward in the window and no longer stalls in light wind.

COXY

nicolasc
Rare Poster

Postby nicolasc » Wed May 22, 2002 9:15 am

hello every body. I'm not sure that the problem was the front lines length. I tried different length and it was the same. I think the problem the weight of the wing and its profile too thin. In this way you can't have a good power but you ride very fast. More the wing have good acceleration maybe too much, it's a real power kite too violent for me, this is due to the profile. What do you think about it?
Good wind

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed May 22, 2002 2:35 pm

Nicolas, the first time I tried my 16 I had the exact same problem. It was definitly the length of the front lines. With the very narrow shape of the kite if it is not set perfectly then it just doesn't fly properly, more drag than lift. Also when the kite is tuned correctly it depowers very quickly. Consequently if the lead lines are too log the front edge of the kite will open causing the entire kite to loose its shape. When they come from the factory the middle lines are set up so that full power is at the end of the loop and by pulling on the loop you actually get a feeling of more power but it is drag pulling you downwind. Set the lines up on the 16 so that the front lines are about 1 inch shorter than the steering lines and go try it again. You will be very surprised by how much diference a little tuning will make. Let me know how it goes.
Toby... I better not tell you how many kites I really have or I will never see my spares.
Aloha> R

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed May 22, 2002 2:37 pm

With the conditions here I am on a 14 or 12 every day, I tried the 10 for a while yesterday and I think that the 12 is my favourite for now just because it is the right size and I have used it the most. There are 2 conection points on the trailling edges of the kites only one on the leading edge.
Laters.R

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 9:30 am

Hi there

I have been using RRD Supertype 12 now for 3 weeks. I have been testing also Takoon 10,5 and Airush for the importers in Finland.

RRD Supertype has otherwise exellent behaviour, but the uppwind ability is only moderate. I can imagine that staying uppwind with 16 or 19 is hard if the wind is light. Waterstart is very hard if not impossible in light wind. Lift is much better than in Naish Aero but not so good as Takoon Skoop or Airush lift. The bar is very good but it does not float.

ST has very solid bull and it does not flutter in any conditions. I know because winds are very gusty hier.

shunter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby shunter » Thu May 23, 2002 10:53 am

Thats weird because i have got the 12 ST and it smoked upwind compared to the airrush lift. I didnt try them on the same day but in simular wind/water conditions same board.

I also felt that jumping on the St was heaps better more pop/hang. The Airush feels if if it generates its pull further back over your shoulder.

Maybe i had the ST tunned right and the lift not quite right.

ah kites got to luv them all

Shane (BTW not a team rider)

Return to “Kitesurfing”